Eight

For the next few weeks, many changes were made to Hogwarts. Cora had thought finally having friends would make this place better but that was simply not the case. Umbridge had completely ruined the good nature of the school and Dumbledore was nowhere to be found. It felt as though the man simply... didn't care.

Umbridge frequently sat in on classes, making silly little notes and if Cora was anything like Hermione, she would have stayed quiet and kept her head down. However she was a lot more like the boys which got her a few more detentions before finally a letter home.

She knew that wasn't a good thing but she was having too much fun to care. This was where she belonged, no matter what looks she got from fellow Gryffindors.

After a particularly painful detention, Cora decided not to attend dinner. The markings were horrible and always finding new places to pop up, making every movement all the more painful. The side of her ribcage was now in lots of pain and she wasn't sure how to go about dressing it. She couldn't tell Madam Pomfrey, and she couldn't steal supplies so what was Cora to do?

Her friends came bounding into the common room as Cora sat cross legged on the couch, reading one of the books she had borrowed from Hermione. The boys jogged upstairs to change and Hermione plopped next to her friend with Ginny on the other side.

"This came for you." Hermione handed Cora a letter and it took the Malfoy everything in her not to wince from reaching to grab it.

Marking her page and closing the book, Cora ripped open the letter with her mum's handwriting on it.

My Dearest Cora,

So much trouble aren't you, love? Can't make it a whole semester without a letter to your father and I? You're lucky I intercepted it and he's too busy to attend to family affairs. Please be good Cora. We can't send you anywhere else, mostly because you and I both know you wouldn't go. Draco says you've made some special friends and that's wonderful so stay out of trouble please. I don't want to receive another letter or you will here from me soon again, next time with a howler.

Be good my love.

Mum.

Cora sighed and folded it back up as sweat began to form on her forehead. She gently wiped it clean and attempted to slide the letter back into the envelope as her hands began to shake. Her stomach churned slightly and she swallowed hard.

"Are you alright, Cora?" Hermione asked her. "You didn't come to supper."

"Wasn't hungry." Cora said shortly.

The boys jogged back downstairs and Cora could barely hide the sick feeling anymore.

"Cora." Hermione said, touching the girls arm.

"I'm alright, just need sleep." Cora got up but the world spun around her suddenly. She blinked a few times and wobbled. Everyone held out their arms for her but shook her head. "Really I'm alright."

"Cora you've had a lot of detentions lately..." Hermione said, standing.

"I'm fine, really they're not that bad." Cora chuckled nervously.

Hermione felt the girls forehead and Cora pushed her hand away as she gasped.

"You're burning up!"

"I'm fine!"

"Show us." She demanded.

"What?"

"Show us the wound." Hermione replied harshly.

Cora peered around her, searching for an exit plan but there wasn't one. The boys were surrounding her and Hermione and Ginny seemed ready for the girl to run. She was trapped.