Fix It

When I taught marketing at a small local college I inevitably at some point in the semester gave the "Fix It" speech.

The gist of the presentation was simple: we all get into ruts of one form or another and become dissatisfied. It could be our job, or our marriage, or something else.

When I got out of the Army and went back to college I took a job with the Corps of Engineers and became friends with an architect named Paul. Paul was a talented individual who absolutely hated his job. I asked him one day why he just didn't find another job and his answer was startling. "Brock, in eight years I can retire."

Eight years?!

Why settle for even eight minutes in something you find emotionally frustrating, depressing, unsatisfying and totally unacceptable?

If you find yourself in a job or a relationship that doesn't make you feel good any more then you need to fix it.

That does not necessarily mean quitting or getting a divorce, it means addressing the situation and making it more palatable.

Example: One of my students worked for the owner of a company who couldn't seem to talk without cussing. This young lady was his secretary and exposed to this language continually throughout the day. After giving my presentation she went to her boss and said "I quit". She was a valuable asset and he wanted to know why; so she explained that it was simply his foul language.

He promised to clean up his language if she would stay. She agreed and he kept his part of the deal.

But it doesn't have to be as drastic as quitting, simply going to your employer and stating your frustrations may be all that is needed. Perhaps some duties can be swapped with other employees, or your responsibilities increased (or decreased) as the case may be. But do something. Take action. Attempt to Fix It. Don't live with a situation that can be improved if you just speak up.

Maybe your source of irritation is a business partner, or a spouse. Sit down and candidly work on the situation.

Example: A few weeks after giving a class the "Fix It" lecture a female student came to class happier than I had ever seen her. I asked what had caused the mood change, and she said "After your talk the other day I got a divorce."

Wow. I started to explain she didn't have to take that big a step to fix the situation, but she stopped me. She told how she hadn't been happy in the relationship for a long time, but my talk gave her the courage to move on with her life and she was the happiest she had been in years.

I'm not advocating you run out and divorce your spouse, or disolve a partnership, or quit, but if you are having relationship problems they need to be addressed and fixed.

Don't let life control you, take action and control your life.