Communicating with Customers

Communicating with customers in any business is essential, so how do you keep in touch with customers without irritating them? Newsletters.

I am a big fan of a newsletter because you can do so much with it. You can inform, sell, educate, and survey all at the same time.

Of primary importance is that the newsletter be useful to the customer. If the customer doesn't find it useful, then you are wasting your efforts. Include information such as tips on how to make better use of common programs; or interesting web sites; or helpful web sites; or whatever would be of use to your "typical" customer. If your customer base has a large percentage of business customers you might have a special section dedicated to useful business information; or even two newsletters, one for business customers and one for consumers.

Don't want to write your own newsletter? There are firms out there that will write the newsletter for you and leave an area for you to insert current company announcements - - such as special offers or whatever you want to brag about.

Your newsletter can be mailed through the Post Office, e-mailed, or simply on line as part of your web site.

A printed newsletter is the most expensive of the three options because you have printing costs as well as postage costs.

Many individuals like an on-line version, but my experience is that people won't go to it without your prodding them, which means a mass e-mail to tell your customers that the new edition of the newsletter is up, so you might as well just e-mail the newsletter in the first place and be done with it.

My pick is an e-mailed newsletter, but make your newsletter an Opt-in; meaning that people must sign up for the newsletter. However, if you have a large existing customer base and have all their e-mail addresses you can simply start sending it to them on a monthly basis. But please have a way for them to Opt-out if they don't want to receive your newsletter. You will find that very few will, most will accept it gratefully.  (Per Federal Law, you must have a way for them to opt out.)

Let me explain the how and why of my content in this newsletter to help you get a better idea about the thought process involved in creating a newsletter.

First it is in PDF format. Many people are fearful of opening attachments because that is the way viruses are spread, but you will find that these same people are completely comfortable in opening a PDF file.

Why not do it in Word and send it that way? Because people are reluctant to open many forms of attachments ... even Word documents are sometimes suspect. But I selected the PDF format because many of my readers are techies, and they typically despise HTML or anything Microsoft. So I create the newsletter in Microsoft's Publisher and then convert it to a PDF file. It's an easy extra step for me and it makes my readers more comfortable.

Most residential customers will prefer HTML graphics, so make your newsletter in HTML even if you hate it. After all, you want the customer to appreciate it, and they typically want HTML.

Page One of course will have your logo, I'm using an attractive, (attractive to me anyway), Microsoft graphic.

Also, I've got my ugly mug plastered in the upper right corner of the document. Why? Because seeing your face creates a warm fuzzy with the average customer. They like knowing whom they are doing business with – it makes the relationship more personal. This is why Realtors will almost always have their picture on their business card.

Putting a face on the newsletter will go a long way in making your relationship more personal.

On the right, just under my picture are the contents of the newsletter so readers can get an idea of what's inside. It is best to keep each issue virtually identical to the previous in terms of the layout and look. Your readers shouldn't have to re-learn your format every time you send them a newsletter.

Finally, there is a Feature Article on some business or marketing topic. If the entire article can't fit on that single page it will continue later in the newsletter or there will be a link to the web site where the entire article is posted.

This way I can keep the general format of the newsletter intact regardless of the length of the article.

Once you start publishing a newsletter be consistent. It should come out in the same general time period of every month; it should look pretty much the same from one month to the next; and it should always contain opt-out and contact information in the same place every issue.

I delayed starting my newsletter because I was still working on a couple of design/content issues, but it didn't take long to resolve those issues.

Which brings me to a final point: don't rush. Fix any potential problems before you start sending it to customers, you'll look like an idiot if it comes out and there are lots of problems with it.  And it will create doubt about your attention to detail in the minds of the reader  Take your time. Send a sample to a couple of trusted friends and ask for their feedback, but be prepared for potentially negative comments. But after all, you did ask.