Chapter 1

Author's Note: Thank you for clicking on this fanfiction! I have an incredibly short questionnaire at the end of this story, so at any time if you want to stop reading or finish the book, if you could please take the time to answer the three questions, I would greatly appreciate it. This chapter is dedicated to @-verdant- who made this incredible cover!!

I was spotted. I had to move fast. My heart took off and my brain couldn't catch up. My reflexes reacted and I ran. Women say it's difficult to run in heels, but oh, they were wrong. My legs carried me through the endless hallways until I spotted it. My way in. There was a table out of place against the crème colored wall. I tossed it aside, which caused the wall to trigger and open the secret passageway.

"Over here!" One of the men called.

I didn't dare look back and immediately shut the passage behind me. I jammed the mechanism with a pipe I took off of the wall. I performed the task so easily that I didn't seem to notice. Steam flew out of the opening, making it the perfect distraction from how hot it was. I rushed down the stairs and maintained my heart rate. My black high heels clicked against the cement as I stumbled through the dark staircase. Angry yelling and banging against the wall echoed everywhere around me. My eyes caught sight of the lit up keypad and I inserted the code with my shaky hands.

They were close behind.

I couldn't risk it. This mission was too important to get myself killed. The door opened and I sprinted to the computer. The computer had seven blue screens sprawled against the back room of the small enclosure, lit up and ready to go. The pressure started to crawl into my skin. If they catch me, I'll never get out of their grasp. My boss will never trust me again. My fingers skated across the keyboard after I plugged in the USB device. The full download began, leaving me with nothing to do but read what files it contained. My eyes widened as I realized what was being downloaded. "No..."

A loud crash came from the passageway. They're here... I thought. My hazel eyes glanced at the screen. The download was eighty percent complete. I rolled my eyes and snatched the USB from the computer. I needed to make a quick exit, and that's the one thing I couldn't forget.

"Turn around and put your hands in the air," the man declared. I put my hands in the air and slowly turned around. If only he knew what I could do. A smirk played on my lips as I glanced up at him. He was prepared with a bow and arrow in my face. His short brown hair was spiked up and he stared back at me with his light blue eyes. His body was small, but muscular. His black outfit completed his look, that is, if he was going for the cliché dark knight look. "Why are you smiling?"

"You don't know me, Clint Barton, but I know you. Have fun trying to catch me," I stated with pride in my voice. I created a blue fiery portal next to me, which led to the hallway outside, and jumped into it before he could do anything. I booked it. If I didn't give my boss the files, I wouldn't get to meet the head of the company. I needed to find out who it was. There was talk around the office, but no one really knew.

"She's trailing back!" Clint yelled into his ear piece. I could hear his fast steps as he followed behind me.

I took a sharp turn, only to be greeted by another man. His blue eyes narrowed on me and took a swing. I ducked before he could punch me and punched him in the gut. I didn't realize before then that he was extremely fit with abs of steel. He didn't kneel over, so I elbowed him in the shoulder. He let out a small cry and punched me in the side. My foot met his sensitive area, but he kept fighting. I was pushed against the wall and pinned there, so I had to do what it took to get out. I froze his hands, making him stumble backwards from the immense cold shock he felt. He yelled and cursed to himself. I dipped down the hallway and heard a noise erupting from behind me. I flipped around and put my hand out, intending to stop whatever was flying at me.

Captain America's shield stopped mid-air five feet in front of me. Cap's face was pure shock as he stood there, dumbfounded. I used my powers to drop the metal shield and raced out of the back door. No one was there waiting for me, so I took off in my sleek black Camaro as fast as I could. I exhaled as I saw Clint and Steve barge out of the back door and witnessed me driving away. Clint kicked the dumpster next to him as he yelled something; Steve stood there, still trying to process what happened. I smiled at the fact that I just escaped from their grasp, able to live another day.

The doors to my boss' office opened and I was escorted inside. The dark grey walls outshined the polished brown wooden flooring in the light. My boss sat in the over-sized chair at the black metal desk. The doors were closed behind me and I walked towards his desk. He checked me out and I rolled my eyes. "You wanted to see me?" I straightened out my slim black dress and adjusted my rectangle framed glasses.

"What happened with the mission I gave you?" He questioned in a stern voice. His brown eyes glanced at my own and fixed his short blond hair. He leaned over and rested his elbows on his desk.

I took out the USB and set it on his desk. "Mr. Kelt, I'll have you know that Hawkeye and Captain America were there, and I had the situation handled. You don't need to worry about if the mission went well. All that I found is on that flash drive. If there's something missing, then it wasn't there at that location to begin with." Mr. Kelt eyed me before taking it. "So, when do I get to meet the big boss?" I asked impatiently. I bit my lip as he glanced up at me from his computer.

Mr. Kelt sighed and stated, "He won't be here until next week."

I raised an eyebrow. Anger filled up inside of me, but I couldn't take it out on him. He was my boss. I could get fired. Or worse. Killed. I exhaled loudly and crossed my arms. "I thought he was coming this week." This impeded my progress. I was going to meet the big boss to find out who he truly was.

"Change of plans. He's coming next week."

I turned around and walked away, "I'll meet him then."

Before I could walk out, Mr. Kelt added, "Oh, and Ms. Bithry, I want those files I requested earlier on my desk by tomorrow morning. And you look amazing in that dress, by the way."

I scoffed to myself and declared, "Yes, sir." I immediately went out of the office and straight for my car. I couldn't take being at that company any longer. I passed by the glass doors with the hydra symbol on it and took out my car keys. I had been working here for years trying to get intel amongst other things...I had to use a fake name, which has worked so far. If they knew who I was, I'd be held hostage for sure. I'm so tired...I just have one stop to go. As I got into the car, I looked in the rear-view mirror at myself. My curly brown hair fell to my shoulders and my hazel eyes glared back at me. My light skin was clearer than I thought it would be with all of this stress on my plate. I cleaned the lenses of my glasses and put them back on. I loathed all of this entirely, but it was for the greater good. I started up the engine and went to my next destination before I headed home.