Chapter 22

AN: Turned out longer than I thought, but I had so much fun writing it. :) This part is dedicated to @PhilisTheGlue for leaving the best comment ever. :D

The meeting started a floor below the training room. The warm room seemed to be big, but only because there wasn't a lot of furniture. A table set in the middle of the room and a giant container in the corner. The walls and flooring reflective tiles made the room look like a giant mirrored box. My bet called on it being that way to disorient the Hulk when he got too rambunctious. Captain America took a stance at one end of the table, pointed at different parts of the map outside of the facility, and gave all of us orders, except for Bruce. Banner sat in the corner flipping through his science journal. He checked formulas, expanded on some work, and kept himself occupied. Bruce hated going in on missions because he thought he caused more destruction than good, so he stayed behind by choice.

Natasha stood at the end of the table next to Steve. She was Steve's second in command, which was an excellent choice. They trusted each other. She appeared on edge in her white shirt and black jeans. Her arms were crossed over her chest as she listened to Steve give directions. She assessed every move he made to make sure it would work, but then again, why second guess? He knew what he was doing. He saved the soldiers in the 107th infantry from Hydra all on his own.

Clint pushed Peter around a bit for fun. Peter pushed back, but had to keep it down before it turned out into an all out fight. They had to seem like they were somewhat paying attention. Barton wore his black jacket and blue jeans that he wore on most occasions. Peter adjusted his glasses before they were knocked off and rubbed his hands on his gray sweats. He wasn't expecting to experiment in the lab today, so he stayed in his gray sweats and blue shirt. Apparently, we had better things to do like invade facilities.

Tony sat in a chair next to Thor and tried to keep himself entertained. He wore his black Black Sabbath shirt and black pants, which went well with his greasy hair. He didn't have time to take a shower between there and the lab, so he just said screw it and left it as is. Tony poked Thor's biceps and tried to make it not so obvious. Thor kept side-glancing at him to let him know it was irritating the dear life out of him, but none of it worked. He didn't know what else to expect from Tony.

Logan stood by me. He wanted to go in on the mission to ensure that it would get done without injuries. He had too much hope for heroes who were prone to getting injured. Logan took off his brown jacket and revealed his red shirt underneath. His blue jeans covered the brown combat boots.

I got my orders. I pushed a strand of brown hair out of my face. This was ridiculous. I didn't get a say in anything. I pretended not to care and fixed the hem of my blue top and black jeans, but I did care. I understood that Rogers was the leader and a tactical genius on the side, but all in all, they had no idea what was inside the facility. Red Skull could be in there for all we knew. If we came across him, then what? Just kill him? I don't think that would fly very well with half of the team. He had information we didn't. We'd be lucky to get our hands on that knowledge. "I know these facilities better than anyone. They all have the same layout, so I know the quickest ways in and out. We'd be lucky if this one had the same," I pointed out.

Steve's icy blue eyes flickered up from the map and onto me. The muscles on his face stayed exactly in place, almost like he gave me a disapproving look. He leaned on the table using his elbow and readjusted his leg for better traction with the floor. "With your powers out in the field, it could go south, especially on a mission like this. Red Skull knows what you're capable of. Why would we take you there when he has the opportunity to take you away and use your powers to his advantage?"

My eyebrows knit together and I became defensive, "I'm not some damsel in distress, Rogers. I can handle myself." I folded my arms across my chest and narrowed my eyes. "That's quite the accusation coming from a fellow test subject, isn't it?" I tapped my foot against the floor in frustration. This guy knew how to really get on my nerves. "Red Skull said he wanted you. To torture you. Kill you. Whatever he wanted. Then it's world domination. I'm not the one that should be watching themselves on this mission."