pen pal pt 2

fun fact this is a little bit based on my internet friend and i 😔
i was writing this late at night and lowkey was in my feels so i sorta ~projected~ my insecurities on to eddie (bc i somewhat based eddie on myself and richie on my friend rip) 😁
my MENTUHL ILLNESS really affects my friendships but that's a ~vent~ for another time

Richie and Eddie have been talking for months now. It's been about three months since they got that pen pal assignment and now they were both on summer break. They've made time to message each other every single day and it was the only thing Eddie looked forward to. They had even started saying they loved eachother, even though it was something they both told all their close friends. Richie said it all the time, so effortlessly, where as Eddie felt more awkward about it, because he had feelings for Richie. He really didn't want to though. Not only is his mom homophobic, but Richie lives thousands of miles away and there was no way they'd be able to meet. If he became too attached to Richie, as if he isn't already, it was going to physically hurt his heart.

Eddie woke up around 10 AM, checking his phone right away to see if Richie texted him. Of course he didn't - they both said goodnight and went to bed and Richie was probably still sleeping. He usually slept in pretty late, Eddie learned.

"Eddie dear?" Eddie heard his mother say before knocking on his door and cracking it open. "Oh good, you're awake. I have some shopping to do, want to come with? You should get some fresh air."

Eddie thought about it for a moment. It was probably a good way to make time pass quicker instead of laying in his bed all day waiting for his phone to ding, and maybe his mom would leave him alone for a while then.

"I guess, sure. Give me like fifteen minutes please." Eddie asked, stretching and getting out of his bed. He got dressed and washed his face and his teeth and then he and Sonia went out.

-

"I think that's all I needed, was there anything you wanted to get Eddie? Anymore stores to stop by?" Sonia asked, they had been out for about three hours, driving around and going in and out of different shops. They weren't really in a rush, they were just looking around and getting what they noticed they needed.

"No, I don't think so," Eddie replied, helping his mom grab the bags out of the cart to carry them to her car. Suddenly, his phone dinged. Eddie quickly pulled out his phone and checked who it was, smiling as the name "Richie" popped up.

"Who's that?" Sonia asked.

"Just a friend." Eddie replied, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"Do I know this friend?"

"His name is Richie. He's my friend from the pen pal assignment I got at the end of the school year." Eddie replied. His mom had become a lot less strict since from when he was a kid, but she still had her moments.

"You gave him your phone number? A stranger?" She began lecturing, Eddie just rolled his eyes.

"M- Mom. He's from school.. he is my age. He's not some predator. I literally became friends with him through a school assignment. They wouldn't assign me some weird guy right?" He asked.

"Well- I guess not. Just be careful." She huffed, annoyed that she didn't get the last word.

"Yuuup." He mumbled.

Eddie was excited that they were nearly home. He really wanted to respond to Richie but he didn't want to around his mom because she's nosy and would find some way to ask to read his messages.

Once they got home, he helped his mom put the groceries away and asked if he could go to his room without sounding too eager or anything. He always had to watch his tone of voice because she would always assume.