Just Like the Stars

Rex and Reetha were on a mission and upon coming back, their ship crashed on Dantooine. "I blame the ship." Reetha said, slowly recovering from the crash. "You always blame the ship." Rex slowly collected himself and walked out of the ship. There was a lake nearby the crash site. Rex walked around the ship, accessing the damage. "You broke the wing commander." He sighed and turned around to meet Reetha, beside him facing the lake. "Well, we certainly can't fly. But i checked the transponder. It's working. I've already sent out a signal to the Resolute. They'll find us soon." Rex took of his helmet and gave her a tired look. "Commander, we would not be here if you hadn't launched the ship into the asteroid field." "Yeah, but I handled it, and we are alive aren't we. That's all that matters." She shrugged and walked pass Rex. "Where do you think your going ,commander?" he asked. "Where else than the lake." Reetha answered bluntly. "Reetha, we need to stay with the ship and try to fix this mess." "Rex, leave it. We don't have the necessary tools to fix the wing. Anyways, what do we have to do but just sit and wait." Rex gave Reetha an unseen eye roll and started walking after her.

The night sky on Dantooine was beautiful. It reminded Reetha of Sorgan. She walked to the edge of the lake, just enough for its waves to hit the base of her boots. She removed her coat and laid it like a blanket on the ground, then proceeded to lay down on it. Reetha took in a deep breath and hummed contently as she looked to the skies. 

"So, no fire?" Reetha looked up to find Rex settling down beside her. "No. Its not that cold and dark anyways." She replied quietly and turned her attention to the sky. 'She looks so peaceful' Rex thought to himself as he realized a small smile grace her lips. He drew in a lungful of air and enjoyed the peace that the night gave. 

"Reminds me of Sorgan." Rex said laying down beside Reetha. She hummed happily. "It sure does." Another moment of comfortable silence passed the two. Though Reetha looked peaceful, a hundred questions raced in her mind. Her brows wrinkled in frustration. She tried to not let the emotion show, not wanting Rex to catch up to her. However, the young commander knew that it was better to just ask the captain about her current dilemma. "How do you do it?" She asked quietly. "How do I do what?" Rex turned his head a little to look at her. Confusion traced her delicate features. "How...how do you manage to not miss home?" Rex's eyes softened at her question, a knowing smile on his face. "Your homesick." he stated as a matter of fact. "Yes" Reetha answered quietly. 

"Kamino is my home and always will be. No matter the cause. It's not that I don't miss my home, but I know that I'm fighting a war to keep it safe." He said, looking back to the stars. Reetha glanced up to Rex. "Do you ever feel homesick?" "Of course I do little'un. But then I realized that the reason I love Kamino, aside from it being the only thing I can call home, is that home is where my family is." Rex drew in a breath. "Kamino is a remembrance of my home. Home, is where my loved ones are, and I know I will do what it takes, to keep them safe." He nearly whispered the last part. Reetha turned and looked as Rex, hearing the generosity and care in his words. "The jedi teach me to let go of attachments. Sorgan is something I could never seem to let go of." She said quietly, turning her gaze to the shiny mosaic in the heavens. 

"I never knew my actual family. Just my honorary grandma. Then when the jedi found me, my master." Reetha kept quiet for a while. Remembering fond memories she shared with the only two people she knew to call family. "Then they left, and I was alone." Reetha's breathing shuddered. She tried to compose herself but the tremble in her voice betrayed her. "Needless to say, they distracted me from ever thinking about Sorgan. When they passed, Sorgan was the only living memory i had of the only family i knew." Reetha closed her eyes. Whispering the last bit, letting a tear roll down her cheek. 

After hearing what Reetha said, and the obvious tremble in her voice, Rex kept quiet as he digested her words. Words almost similar to his own. "The pain of loosing a loved one is never easy." He said softly. "Especially when we are constantly reminded of them. But never forget, family is thicker than blood." He drew in a deep breath and straightened his legs on the ground. "When we grow up, we meet many people. Some good and some bad. We create memories that are bitter and sweet. But after meeting all these people, only some ever stay loyal to us to the end. Trust is built, slowly but surely. These people become a part of us in the end. People we can't count on without a shadow of a doubt. No matter how far they are, they are always there beside you." "..Family.." Reetha continued, eyes still glued on the sky. "..Family.." Rex repeated. 

"You something Rex?" Reetha asked turning around to look at him. "Hmm." ."Your pretty wise." She said smiling up to him. Rex looked down to the little girl beside him and ruffled her hair, smiling down to her. Their eyes turned back to the sky. There were no clouds so the stars beyonds were on display for all to see. 'No matter how far they are, they are always there beside you' Rex's words rang in her head. Then her thoughts went to the first time she met the clones, General Skywalker and Ahsoka. She remembered how welcoming they were to her, how kind and gentle. 

She smiled to the memories that reminded her of misfitted, rag-tag group, how they always stayed by her side. She knew, that she'd do anything to protect them. "I guess it's safe to say, that I have found a new purpose in my life." "What's that?" Rex asked. "I..found my new family." She said, looking up to Rex with pride shining and a new determination growing in her eyes. "Sorgan may be my home, but its not where my family is. My family is here with me." She reached a hand out to the sky. "Always, watching over me. Sorgan is a memory. But the stars are forever. Just like my family. Just like the stars." she said gently. Smiling even fondly. Rex looked at Reetha, and at this moment, he had never felt so proud of his little sister. He reached out a hand towards the sky, speaking an unspoken promise, as he held his dear sister's hand. He knew she was true to her word, and he knew he would do everything to keep the little girls safe. "Shi guuror te ka'ra, ner vod" Rex spoke in mandoa. "Just like the stars, my sister." 

~The End~