Chapter 13

"Coffee and cigarettes are best when shared with you

We'll go to Waffle House or your moms house and share a cup or two

Yeah I have friend , but they have friends, and they have parties, and I'm so awkward

So what do you, just as friends we see a movie this weekend."
Coffee and cigarettes ~ Never Shout Never

-

"You're coming home tonight."

Luke scoffed, "And what makes you think I'm doing that, mother?"

"Because if you don't, I'll call the police and tell them that Calum's mom kidnapped you. I know that's where you're at."

"Actually, I just got off work. And I doubt you're gonna call the cops because you're too afraid they'll find you're damn crack stash."

He felt a small amount of pride in his gut.

"If that's what it takes Lucas. Don't make me tell Dustin that you're acting up."

Even though she couldn't see, Luke tensed and choked on his breath. Because she can't be serious? It's not like she even really cares if he's there. She just wants to be difficult.

"Luke, don't forget that you're not 18 yet, and you still have to mind me. So I suggest you get the fuck home and get what you deserve."

With that, Luke's mother hung up, leaving Luke trembling in his car.

-

"What do you mean that she wants you home? You can't go home, Luke. You literally just got the fuck out of there."

"I know, Cal. But she's right. And I can swear to you that as soon as something happens I would call the police. And you know that I really don't want to fucking do that, but if that's what it takes then I will. Besides she's got a point, I'm not 18 yet, so I still have to follow her rules or whatever."

Calum shook his head. His best friend is just gonna turn around and go back to the place where he was raped and abused. He didn't understand.

So he told Luke to get out.

Luke looked at him disbelievingly, "What?"

"Get out, Luke. If that's where you're gonna run back too every time then you might as well get a head start."

Luke just stared at Calum. Why didn't Calum, his best friend understand. Why doesn't he get it? Why doesn't he just understand the situation that he's in?

-

Luke's hands were shaking and his breath was out of control. No one understood that he was fucking scared of this place. It's like going back to hell, and Luke was pretty sure that given the choice no one would go back there.

The air in the house smelled of stale whiskey and some other awful smell. No one was in the kitchen, so Luke was hoping that he could sneak into his room un-seen. But Luke's life was never really that easy.

"There's my baby boy!"

As Luke suspected, his mom was drunk.

But he gritted his teeth and ignored the thought of immediate suicide.

"Go back to bed, mom." He whispered.

She kind of stumbled over towards Luke and wrapped her arms around his neck, scotch bottle in hand.

He knew it was a mistake coming here. He finally got out of a place that he was stuck in for 17 ungodly years, and now he returns. On top of that he really misses Ashton.