Aira The Maid

“Ms. Aira, I made a fruit cake based off the recipe you gave me the other day,” Eugenie said. “Would you like to taste it?”

“Gladly, Miss Eugenie.”

“W-Well? How’s it taste?”

“Ah…! I was quite surprised, it’s very delicious. Your deviations add so much, it’s so much better than it was originally.”

“No, that’s because your recipe was such a great foundation!”

It is Sunday. Every time there is a tea party, I send an invitation to Eugenie and she always attends. She seems to have started enthusiastically talking with my maid, Aira, about their shared hobby of cooking. Today, they are swapping recipes.

(Oh, what a delightful scene…)

However, since I have opted out of traditional ladies’ education (including housework), I can’t participate. It didn’t matter if I cooked in my previous life, it was just too different in this world.

For starters, there are no ingredients that have been cut and weighed in advance, seasonings that add flavor by simply mixing them properly, and ramen that only needs you to pour hot water in.

Additionally, there are no gas stoves or induction heaters, and an open flame is hard to use. I don’t want to bother cooking in such a state.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, someone like Eugenie who enjoys cooking in an environment like is amazing at it.

“The scones from Madame Lorimar’s house the other day were so delicious,” Eugenie said. “It was an apple scone, but it had a very nice fragrance and a delicate sweetness that went well with tea. I could tell the apples were chopped, but perhaps they added some more that were grated.”

“Perhaps it was honey instead,” Aira said.

“Ah! Perhaps!” Eugenie cried.

I’m not the only one enjoying this scene, as the other ladies are also watching with smiles on their faces. Ever since the incident with Madam Lorimar and her cat, Eugenie has been welcomed into the circles of the upper class.

Well, I suppose she’s the presonal guest of the Marquis’ daughter, so they can’t be rude. Madame Lorimar also argued for her inclusion, quite the act of boldness. As to expected of a woman who runs her farming territory all by herself, in spite of feudal society being so male-dominated.

Speaking of male-dominated, it appears I’m still the only female squire, and the only woman who has undergone combat training and regularly uses her weapons beside. Partly because of that, I’ve grown to admire Madam Lorimar; perhaps our ways are different, but she lives proudly on her own terms all the same.

“Lady Rosalind?” Eugenie asked.

“Ah, yes, what is it Eugenie?” I asked.

“Um, if you would like some, please enjoy, my Lady…!” Eugenie said offering me some fruit cake.

“Is it really alright for me to take some? Well then… um?!”

“Lady Rosalind!?” Eugenie asked. “Is it not to your taste?”

“… No, it’s the other way around,” I said. “It’s superb! I’m at a loss for words…”

“Really? I’m so happy no hear that!”

A smile of relief spreads over Eugenie’s face. Oh, she’s so cute. She looks like a frightened little animal, but she in the end she smiles no matter what. And when she laughs, the sound alone fills my heart with happiness. You can easily see why the capture targets would drop their defenses and surrender their hearts to her.