Into The Uncertain Future

Roaring sounds came from the direction of Fort Horns as the residents of Rose Village tried to evacuate. Countless silhouettes flew in the air against the background of the blood-red sky.

The villagers stared as if it were already the end. But then the flame dragons appeared, buildings erupted in flames, and they truly found themselves in Hell.

“Pathetic! Is this really all you’ve got?!” spat the man astride the largest one, his body large, his red hair like flames.

With all the efforts to strengthen Fort Horns in the past few years, it seemed like it was impossible to breach from the Valhalla side. Which is why the young King Julius of Valhalla ordered that the legendary fire dragon tamed by one of his finest soldiers:

Wolfgang Godward, the “General of Flame” and commander of the First Brigade of the Valhallan Army.

“Bah!” he spat.

Wolfgang rose to the top because of his many achievements and his willingness to sacrifice for his country. When he volunteered to lead the Fort Horn assault, he led the First Brigade to an old dragon nest, then the battlefield. In addition to adding the fire dragons to their military might, he was wearing full armor with high flame resistance, so he wouldn’t burn to death while he commanded right from the frontline.

“Burn it all to the ground!” he yelled.

He wanted to see the fruits of his labour with his own eyes, as an honour for the men he lost taming the flame dragons. He believed that using the Fire Dragon would lead to glory for Valhalla, that felling the impenetrable Fort Horns would burn the name of the Valhalla First Brigade into the land of Amelia.

However, with reality in front of him, he cannot help but be disappointed.

“This all you can muster?!” he cried. “Was Fort Horns really so weak that it could be captured in less than an hour? We were overestimating our enemy’s’ power! We didn’t even need the flame dragons in the first place!”

The members of the First Brigade corral the Amelian soldiers to the fire dragons’ flames, burn them alive like they were sacrifices to their fallen comrades. Their dying screams and rage are like music to their ears, a requiem for their dead.

Upon confirming that the Fort Horns had fallen, Wolfgang ordered his subordinates: “Advance! To Stanley Castle! The flames of Hell light the way for Valhalla’s victory! To war!”

His soldiers cheer.

Wolfgang leads his Fire Dragon Knights and his own mount to Stanley Castle. The infantry left behind stormed through the ruins of Fort Horns and Rose Village. For this march, they had brought no supplies with them, intended to loot and pillage every village on their path for food. This is why they had chosen to invade at the end of the harvest season.

“Bring out what food you have!” the soldiers demanded. “Weapons and armor, too!”

Once Fort Horns had fallen, Castle Stanley was captured, and the Arch region was under Valhalla’s control, their allied forces would come in to supply them and fuel the rest of the campaign. But for now, Wolfgang and his Flame Dragon Riders flew on to Castle Stanley.

It was about time to turn in for bed when we saw it: the northeastern sky dyed red. I—Eugenie—jumped out of the house with my uncle. I looked around, saw all of our neighbours were coming out of their homes, too.

“Fort Horns is on fire…”

As if on cue, soldiers bearing Valhalla’s coat-of-arms rush into the village, many are instantly captured. Giant dragons flew over the sky, flying southwest and past us. “All of you be quiet!” the soldiers barked. “We will strike down anyone who shows resistance!”