29. testing the limits

Start from the beginning

Derek walked past the three of you with Emily- both of them wearing their snorkeling gear, without life vests of course. The daredevils of the group, you called them.

You tried your best to mask your excitement, but your shock got the best of you.

"Holy shit!" You spoke just above a whisper, gaining a questionable glance from Hotch. You looked the opposite way, covering your mouth.

"We can talk more about this later. We should get in the water before we look like we're gossiping." Garcia motioned to the two of you, and you all climbed down the ladder that extended off the side of the yacht. Once your legs became submerged in the water you could feel the current pushing against you.

You weren't really the religious type, but you said a quick prayer before lowering yourself into the water completely.

Dear god, please don't let me drown today. I haven't properly kissed Spencer goodbye.

You let go of the last rung on the ladder so JJ could hop in the ocean herself.

You didn't float into the horizon, but you could feel your body drifting every so often. You were easily distracted by putting your head under water, savoring the silence and beauty of the coral and fish. The bright colors underneath you blurred into a mesmerizing tie-dye pattern as you blinked. When you lifted your head from the water, you noticed that you were a couple hundred feet from the boat.

Shit.

Your legs already ached from last night's activities, which were currently ruining your chance at staying afloat. Your body bobbed softly up and down the tall ripples of the ocean.

"Y/n, are you okay?" You heard Derek call from afar. He was maybe ninety feet away from you, and he was clearly having an easier time treading water.

"I don't- I'm-" You coughed a little as you swallowed water, the salt burning in your throat and nose. "Not good." You admitted, keeping a calm tone. You slowly swept your arms clockwise by your sides with your hands cupped closed, in order to preserve your leg strength.

Your heart raced in your chest, but you tried not to alarm anyone in the water or on the boat. You took your eyes off of Derek for a moment, looking to see if Spencer had appeared on the deck to join the team.

He wasn't there.

Your composure faltered, and you felt sharp pains in your legs as you fluttered them faster, keeping your head and shoulders just above the surface. You let out short heavy breaths, and shut your eyes tight the moment you felt your body begin to give up.

"Not so fast, y/n." Morgan was right in front of you, and pulled your weak body into his arms. "Just hold onto me, I'll bring you back to the boat."

"F-Fuck.. Thank you. I didn't realize I would drift so far.." You relaxed in his safe grip.

"It's okay, y/n. Just take a few deep breaths."

Derek swam to the boat, swiftly carrying you along towards the ladder. He let go of your sides so you could climb up the ladder, which you quickly lifted yourself up. Once you reached the deck, relief spread in your chest, and you could feel your heart beat slow.

"Thank you, Derek." You breathed, hugging him as soon as he made his way onto the deck.

At this moment, Spencer walked out onto the deck, met with the image of you kissing Derek on the cheek in gratification.

Spencer gritted his teeth in confusion, along with a little bit of anger. However, he couldn't possibly let anything bother him. Was it possible that Derek was stealing yet another woman from him?