6. sticks and stones

Yeah, right.

"I thought you were joking when you suggested that we should cook something ourselves, Spencer."

"Well you know it doesn't have to be perfect y/n.. And it looks edible." He smiled at the creation the two of you made.

"Oh yes, that's always a positive about food." You spoke with sarcasm, and earned an eye roll from Spencer.

The pizza that you both worked on sat on top of your counter, steam rising from the cheese.

"Okay enough staring, I'm starving." Spencer interjected, leaning in front of you so he could pick up the tray with both hands.

You both sat on the couch, and he placed the tray on the coffee table, whilst you searched on tv for a movie. You turned on a random movie and situated yourself on the couch, lying your legs on Spencer's lap, and your head against his shoulder.

You ended up falling asleep in that position, and you assumed Spencer fell asleep shortly after you.

You woke up curled on your couch, and alone.

The sun bore through your thin curtains, making your cool skin tingle.

"Spencer?" You called out, sitting up and surveying your apartment. You noticed that there was a note on your coffee table, and you narrowed your eyebrows. You pulled the sticky note off of the table and it read:

'Had to go get changed for work. See you there.'

Huh.

You felt a pang of disappointment in your chest.

Why was that note so... Cold? You knew that he usually doesn't mean how 'matter-of-fact' and monotone he can be in his writing, but you were expecting maybe just a little more emotion from him.

You've almost slept with him several times, and he writes you this kind of note?

You felt your mood quickly drop.

You cleaned up the mess in the kitchen that you two had made during the pizza fiasco, and put the leftovers in the fridge.

You reminisced over last night, biting the inside of your bottom lip as you remembered him touching your back while he had flour on his hands. He claimed that he was, 'waiting to see how long it took for you to notice', even though you had noticed the first moment his hand brushed against you.

And when you were sitting watching the movie together, and he leaned over and licked his thumb before smearing off the bit of tomato sauce on your nose.

The flour covered shirt rested on the top of the couch, so you assumed Spencer couldn't help but tidy up before he left.

You noticed the bag of peas was put back in your freezer, but despite the way you felt in those moments of yesterday, you just couldn't get yourself out of this rut.

Spencer wasn't even in the room, and he was still messing with your head.

You got dressed for work in your usual fitting dress pants, along with a casual and tight long sleeve top. You couldn't bother to go all out today.

You quietly drove to work and entered the office with a flat expression, tossing your bag on your chair and heading to the break-room to get coffee.

"Good morning,-" Derek began to speak, but you walked right past him.

"Oh god. Who pissed off y/n?" He lowered his voice, walking back to his desk mug in hand.

You tentatively poured yourself coffee and added all of your fixings.