arc three: part ten

Start from the beginning

Techno was now forced to parry and block as Deo fought without yielding, driving Techno around the area like a toy. A few times Techno would try to go on the offensive and be countered easily and be forced back to cower and deflect the blows that Deo delivered.

He knew that he was close to victory when the diamond sword was hit out of Techno's hands, flying through the air and clattering to the ground. Techno dived forward to retrieve it and grabbed it just in time to fend off another ruthless blow.

He knew that he was close to victory when two of his crosscuts hit its mark, slicing a clean gash in Techno's forearm and another slashing the edge through Techno's side. Techno cried out in agony and was forced to back off to recover slightly.

With a shaky breath, Deo put all of his strength into a downward strike to which Techno raised his sword to block. It pushed Techno back subtly and pressed the diamond sword back so the blade was almost brushing Techno's nose. Deo leaned forward with his sword, both his and Techno's arms and swords shaking from the strength they're putting into attacking or defending. He could see the fear in Techno's eyes despite the hard expression he bore and relished in it, his smirk widening. He was so distracted that he didn't even notice his quirk wearing off.

Techno did, however, and pushed back with such force that Deo was sent scrambling backwards. With another hard strike, Deo's sword was sent flying down the alleyway, so far that he couldn't reach without being killed. In only two seconds, Deo lost his advantage and now had a blade pressed to his throat with nothing to defend it. He was backed against a wall, similar to before, but this time he didn't have a sword to parry off the other.

"That was good," Techno breathed, the blade nearing Deo's throat until it barely brushed against the skin. Deo felt his chest tighten as he stared at Techno defiantly. He was trapped now. There was no way out of this without certain death. His eyes darted towards the iron sword again, stained with blood and at least twelve feet away. Oh, he's really fucked now.

There was a moment of still silence with only the heavy breathing from both men. Their eyes were locked together, neither blinking and the air tense. Red eyes stared into pink and Deo wished he could say what was running through Techno's head.

There was a pain in his lower abdomen. His eyes widened. Technos stepped away and he slid to the ground slowly, weakly raising his hand to touch the wound Techno made. There was blood dripping from Techno's sword and also a cut right below his belly button. Blood spilled out like no tomorrow and he could also feel it start to trickle out his mouth.

"You'll live," he heard Techno murmur. He could barely see the man now for now his vision was blurry. Those words echoed in his head.

He heard footsteps fading away, growing fainter and fainter until a new set of footsteps replaced them, pounding and loud and rapid. The last thing he saw before the darkness clouding his vision was a blond man with a white smiley face mask.

His sunglasses laid on the alleyway floor broken.

———

He woke up.

Was this heaven? Deo looked down on himself and found no injuries. Why was heaven so familiar though?

He recognized the setting now and noticed himself sitting on the floor, colouring in a car with Crayola crayons dejectedly. It was him, but not him. This version of him was younger, way younger. Maybe seven, eight tops. Children were bustling around him, playing with each other and sharing their toys. He recognized all their faces- five-year-old Emily with red curls bouncing as she bragged to the other children about her adoption, showing all her sharp teeth. He caught himself staring at her sadly before returning to his colouring sheet.
Deo watched as a blond-haired boy bounced up to himself, poking at his shoulder. He watched as the younger him jumped up and whirled around to stare at the blond, who was grinning mischievously. "Hey!" Tommy said, sitting down beside him. Deo watched as the younger Deo inched away cautiously. "Can I colour with you?"