Chapter 12: 7 Minutes In Heaven

"I'm having another episodeI just need a stronger dose,"

I just need a stronger dose,"

IT had started to happen all over again, but this time it was all happening much quicker. Pete was losing himself faster than ever before, and he knew there was no turning back this time. He would never see his son again, Ashlee would make sure of that. Bronx definitely did not need a father like him in his life, he thought. The band was doing great without him, they had hired a bassist and the concerts still sold out completely. Patrick had made him take a break, he had ended up watching best friend become a complete stranger, a recluse.

The only thing he thought could help himself was to drink himself into an endless sleep, and of course, smoking. It started as a combination to help him relax, and then it was to help him sleep. Now it was a way to feel numb. The perfect combination to forget his past, his present and all hopes of a future with Carmen.

***

Pete lay there, a nearly finished bottle of vodka in his hand, the other hand fumbling around his pocket for a lighter. At no luck of finding one, he threw the bottle at the wall and watched as it smashed and painted the wall in a layer of spirit. The shards littered the floor and his eyes spotted a stray lighter laying in the mess he had made, he let out a laugh. Typical.

The curtains never opened anymore, so his room was always dark. His hair stuck to his forehead and his eyes had become puffy and red. Dragging himself out of bed, he picked up the lighter, cutting his hand slightly and stepped out onto the balcony into the night sky. The blood dripped down his hand onto the floor, pooling at his feet. The sky was clear tonight, but he couldn't admire it like he used to, instead, he pulled himself half onto the edge, one leg dangling two-storeys down, the other hovering above the balcony floor. He sat like this, smoking his cigarette. He believed there was no way out of this hell he had let himself into, the demons were clawing at his ankles holding down. There was no one to help him. Carmen was dead, Leonardo had informed him of this.

The balcony wasn't high off the ground, the fall wouldn't kill him. Then he began sobbing, he swung his other leg over and threw himself over the edge. He landed on the floor of his balcony, he couldn't do it, he was weak. He sobbed himself into a chaotic sleep.

"Do it Pete, jump," voiced called out to him, but he couldn't place where they had come from.

He was stood on the edge of a cliff, the wind howling behind him and forcing him to stand with one foot slightly behind to keep his balance. The waters below crashed out the rocks in a flurry of white and blue. That's what it felt like anyway, instead, he was on the roof of his building with a crowd of people below him. His anxiety had begun to claw at him from the inside, he couldn't see their faces.

His feet fumbled and he stumbled back onto his bum, he was so close to doing it. The sky above him was storming and the rain fell heavily, coating him to his bones in an icy chill. He was trembling head to toe as he scrambled away from the edge, smacking into someone's legs. He looked up to find a woman smiling at him and giggling. This woman was giggling manically as she bent down to his level, one hand wrapping around the back of his neck, the other on his chest. She looked like an angel to him. Pete remained frozen as she leant in and pressed her warm lips to his cold ones.

"Sorry Pete," she whispered against his lips.

Pete's eyes snapped open, it was Carmen. He stuttered and clambered to his feet, "Carmen?" he managed before the hand on his neck was removed and the one on his chest pushed him.

Pete stumbled, one foot slipping off the edge and he fell. It wasn't a peaceful experience like he had imagined. The wind whipped around him, and the rain felt like tiny knives as he plummeted to his death. He didn't see his life flash before him, instead, he heard the mix of screams and sirens. He couldn't tell where he was, for his vision has become a blur.

However, for one single second, he felt at peace. Time had slowed, he saw his son smiling at him in his arms, he saw the rest of the band embracing him before a show, and he saw Carmen on the doorstep of her house, where he first introduced himself. Pete smiled, reaching out to them but the second ended and time sped up; he hit the floor.

Pete screamed as he woke up, he was stiff from falling asleep outside. He choked before throwing up beside him and collapsing. His heart felt like it had slowed down, it was horrifically painful as he gasped for the air that was quickly leaving his lungs. The pain stopped and he lay there, in and out of consciousness.

He was dying.