Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

He thought for a second and weighed up his options but it was a clear one-sided win. If Leigh really was being treated the way he said then there was no way he could get to her by himself. It didn't matter if he liked it or not but he really did need Robert's help in the same way that he needed Brett's. Whether he only wanted help to make things right with Leigh or whether he was simply doing it to ease his conscience Brett didn't really care- all that mattered was that he would soon be reunited with Leigh and tell her that no matter what the blackmail was about, it would be okay so long as he was by her side.

"Okay..." He said and felt his heart beginning to glow inside of his chest as they began working up a plan to break her out of her prison cell.

*

They were in Robert's car the very next day recalling each and every detail of the plan with only a couple of minutes until it was in motion. They were waiting at the gates to be allowed into the Danvers estate- a process which was taking a while as Robert was not supposed to be there. Brett was seated in the back of the car with a hat pulled low on his forehead and his form slouched as to not be seen even through the tinted windows. The man who was standing at the gate guarding the entrance as if the house was a palace had moved out of earshot to make a call to the house and it had given the two men a chance to speak. It wasn't common knowledge that Brett was in the back of the car and they intended to keep it that way as he needed to be unknown on the grounds for the plan to work.

"The car will be parked over there," Robert whispered and without causing suspicion to the security guard who was staring directly at him, he pointed in a general direction. "When you get out go around around the side to the right Leigh's room is the middle of the three with a balcony. Her room should be the only one with the light on. There's a trellis on the wall and it's safe to climb."

"Do I even wanna know how you know that?" Brett grunted.

"Probably not... Anyway I'll swipe the balcony key from the cabinet when I get inside and I'll excuse myself for a cigarette and put the key in the glove box. Got it?"

"Yeah. The bike's definitely in place?" He questioned referring to the getaway motorbike.

"I trust Tommy. It's there."

Before they could converse anymore the security guard returned to the car and leaned down at the window. "You can go in. Mrs Danvers said she loves a bit of grovelling."

He put the car back into drive and slowly rolled it into a parking space between two other cars in order to keep Brett as hidden as possible. "Ten minutes," Brett said. "If you're not out in ten I'm goin' ahead."

"Got it. See you on the other side," he said acting as if it was a heist mission and not a simple rescue. But then again what more could you expect from a man who had been acting for the majority of his life and made everything a drama.

As soon as Robert was out of the car and standing on the porch Brett hit the button on his watch and set the timer for ten minutes, that was all he was giving Robert before his side of the plan would begin. Leigh was in meters of him now and his hands began to twitch in anticipation of having her in his arms again. As he waited in the car it gave him time to reflect upon the past six months. So much had happened in that half a year and he never expected to feel the way that he did about anyone let alone the woman who six months ago he wanted out of his life forever. It made him realise just how unexpected life could truly be and he now understood that you can never predict what's around the corner. He was itching to see Leigh again and ran through what he would say to her when he did. Yes, it had only been three days since he last saw her at the wedding but those few days felt like an eternity and that was only because of the true feelings he'd been keeping deep inside which needed to be shouted from the rooftops.