Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

Thankfully when she entered the password she was greeted with the word connected and said a little thank you to the universe for allowing at least one thing to go her way. It was almost immediately that her fingers found the correct letters on the keyboard and she typed in the name of her social media into the search bar. After logging in the image that appeared front and centre brought back all of the emotions she felt from the night before. It was a series of photographs posted to Harry's profile and each was as beautiful as the next. The first picture was of Harry and his bride standing outside of the church embraced in each other's arms with their daughter standing in front of them. She swiped to the left which brought up the next picture but before she could go any further the she locked her gaze with Brett's virtual one. In the picture he was smiling and Leigh could easily remember the grin he had plastered on his face the entire morning. She could tell he was excited for his sister's big day but now, when he looked back she knew he would only think of her absence without a word of warning and that evoked a guilty feeling within.

She dragged her cursor to the tagged section and then dragged it once again to Brett's profile. It was private- much in the same way he liked to keep his life and she had never thought of adding him as friend before. But now she had nothing to lose and ever so slowly clicked the 'add' button. Within only a matter of seconds Brett had added her back and thirty seconds later there was a message waiting for her to open in her inbox. She was hesitant to click but as soon as she heard the pounding footsteps from outside her door growing closer and louder she knew she didn't have much time. She opened the message as quickly as she could, hearing keys jangle in the lock just outside. There was a link and two words; 'open it'. And she did.

Her mother stormed in and swiped swiped the laptop from the desk before Leigh could see what the link led to. She picked up Leigh's phone along with it and left the room once again with a clear annoyance and frustration radiating from her body. A male's voice sounded just then- it was Robert and the words that he spoke to Leanne were beyond confusing.

"You can't keep her locked in a room for the rest of her life," he shouted from the other side of the door. Leigh moved closer and pressed her ear up against the wood.

"She deserves to be locked in there she needs to be taught a lesson," Leanne told him.

"She is an adult, not a child."

"Your part here is done Robert. You have your money, why are you still here?"

"This isn't right, Leanne. I didn't agree to this."

"You've been in this business a long time Robert, you know how this works so either you leave and forget any of this ever happened or you stay and I ruin your career with one phone call."

"Fine. But just know that if anything happens to her I'll hold you responsible." Leigh could tell by the tone of his voice that Robert was becoming frustrated and despite his evident betrayal it felt good to have someone on her side- even if he was the person who put her there in the first place.

"Don't forget your place, Robert. It was me who put you in the spotlight to begin with so trust me I can take you out of it. And you wouldn't want that, would you? Who would pay for your apartment, cars and therapy, huh?"

"You're a bitch, you know that?"

"I'd rather be a bitch than be naive."

She listened to the sound of his footsteps beating on the wooden stairs and quickly pulled herself away from the door. She went back to the desk where she was previously seated and pulled open the drawer. She knew it would be a while until she was able to leave the room and so she decided to make the most of it. If there was one thing she had that Leanne could never take away that was words and it was in that moment that she knew exactly how she would escape her mother for good...as they say word is power.