Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

LeighDanvers requested to follow you.

He had never clicked on anything as fast as he did on that notification. It was her account- her true social media with a blue verified tick directly next to her name. He accepted the request and followed her back immediately. Without a second to think Brett opened up a message conversation and began to type the words 'open it'. As quickly as he could he exited the app to open his notes and copied a link which he then proceeded to paste into the message box and click send. Brett stared at the screen waiting for her reply. She was still online, the green circle beside her name told him that. Then two ticks appeared next to his message. She had read it and he felt his heart leap at the possibility she would reply to him. He still didn't know where she was and the link he'd sent her was his last resort but he'd done it anyway.

Brett had a friend- more of an acquaintance- who worked in the police force and he'd asked him for a bit of help when he was on his way to the airport. At first he had refused and told Brett that that he couldn't track a woman who had simply up and left without a word of why. But after some gentle persuasion and a heartfelt reason why he agreed. Besides, Brett told him to think of Annalise- his ex-girlfriend from high school and the one woman he could never get over- and how she couldn't bare not knowing where her 'best friend' was.

Within a few minutes the link was sent over which Brett only had to get Leigh to open and then he could find out where she was. He knew she was curious by nature and without question would click on the link but he also knew it would be a challenge to get her to see it. He had called her and messaged her multiple times but each form of contact had been ignored on her end but this time was different. He hadn't known whether she was seeing his messages or not but seeing those two small ticks told him that she had and that gave him a slither of hope.

He stood there for so long waiting to reply that his bag was the only piece of luggage left on the conveyor and had circled around three times. The green circle had long since turned to grey but he continued to stare despite the notification on his phone telling him he had twenty per cent battery left. He continued to stare as if it would make her come back online but it didn't and it was only when an airport employee approached him about his bag that he was snapped from his trance.

"Is that your bag, sir?" The man asked. Brett nodded and quickly apologised before slipping his phone into his pocket and collecting his bag from the conveyor. As he made his way out of the airport he didn't have any idea where he would go or what he would do now that he was there and immediately began to regret his impulsive decision. It had been a long day and the three hour time difference was already getting to him. It was four o'clock in Los Angeles but back home it was nearing seven and he could feel the effects of lack of food on his body.

Leaving the airport and seeing the sun beginning to set in the distance brought his mind to ease and as he glanced up at the sky where the moon was barely visible he began to feel as if everything was going to be okay. It was a great comfort knowing that the moon in the sky was the same moon that every person in the world could gaze upon and being the link that it had to each and every person he somehow knew he would find his way back to Leigh and there wasn't a single doubt in his mind about that.

*

When they returned to the house Leigh was sent to her room as if she were a child again but did as her mother said as she would rather have been by herself than in the presence of the woman she couldn't stand.

Not sure what to do her attention was drawn to her laptop which was laid out on the bed and a wave of curiosity washed over her as to what was happening on the news and back in Oak View. She stood from the keyboard, lifting her fingers from the white keys and reached for her laptop. Leigh moved over to the small corner desk and placed it in the centre. While waiting for her laptop to power on she attempted to recall the password to the internet from the depths of her mind hoping it would still be the same.