----------

Susan's carriage drove through the rain to St. James's Place for the ball that evening, arriving at the palatial home of Lord and Lady Milton, its gothic spires and pointed arches amplified by the light of the full moon. "Each is larger than the last," murmured Charlotte as she approached the open carriage door.

"What was that, Charlotte?" asked Susan who had just been handed down from the carriage.

"Oh, nothing," she said sheepishly, "just admiring the scenery."

"Very grand, indeed, is it not?" said Susan, taking her arm as they walked toward the entrance. "I would wager that in a house this size, the potential to make new acquaintances is an undeniable likelihood tonight."

The front doors opened to reveal a spacious entrance hall, featuring the grandest staircase that Charlotte had ever seen. Even with the crowds surrounding them, it was the very first London house she had entered that seemed large enough to hold every last member of the Beau Monde. She imagined that this was the sort of opulence that the Prince Regent himself lived in. Surely, there must be potential investors among such a crowd.

She could not help but gasp in delight as they entered the immense ballroom just moments later. "Oh, Susan, it looks like something out of A Midsummer Night's Dream," she remarked, quite unable to contain her excitement.

"Yes, Lady Milton clearly has an eye for that sort of thing. You will find among the London set that the need to out-perform every other ball often results in more elaborate themes as the season progresses. It has become quite the sport for ladies, in fact."

"Is this your way of telling me that we are to ready ourselves for a garishly overdone event at Weston Place this season?"

"Not a chance, dear Charlotte. I admit to not always being immune to the pressures of others, but I find that I am past all that now. One's life becomes far more enjoyable when they stop caring quite so much about the opinions of others."

"Is that why you were reading a book at Mrs Maudsley's rout when we first met?" she asked, curiously, "I often wonder why you were hiding that evening."

"Yes, I find Mrs Maudsley's events, in particular, to be very tedious, and yet, one must make an appearance for the sake of maintaining their social standing. It is all quite ridiculous, but at least I had the great fortune that particular evening of meeting you. Now, what do you say, Miss Heywood? Shall we make use of our talents and spread the word of our little town?"

Charlotte followed Susan's lead, walking a few paces behind as nearly every person in the room turned to greet her as she passed. She scanned the crowd before them, catching sight of the Babingtons across the room, deep in conversation, their eyes fixed upon one another, but saw no sign of Sidney or Mrs Campion, and for the very first time that evening, she exhaled in relief, feeling the sense of dread lifting from her body. As they progressed through the room, Lady Milton, herself, approached them at last.

"Lady Worcester!" she said, rather enthusiastically, "so happy that you could join us this evening."

"Lady Milton," Susan greeted her warmly, "We are so delighted to be here. Have you met my dearest friend, Miss Charlotte Heywood?" After a brief conversation with the surprisingly pleasant Lady Milton, not only had Susan managed to broach the subject of Sanditon and her plans to spend time there over the summer months, but by the end of it, they had walked away with an invitation for tea the following week, and a chance to discuss the town further.

"Nicely done, Susan," Charlotte said, impressed.

"Oh, it's nothing that a bit of practice won't help. Now, why don't you take the lead on the next conversation we have? We can produce a tally at the end of the evening to see who had the largest number of positive responses."

Charlotte smiled, "I suppose that I could use a challenge to distract. Now, who is next? And be fair, mind." she said with a twinkle in her eye.

"Why, Charlotte, I wouldn't dream of sending you to the wolves immediately. Perhaps two conversations in, we can approach the Duke of Northumberland and see how effective your charms really are."

"A Duke? So early in the evening?"

"Yes, and this particular Duke is the most ornery gentleman in all of England. I can hardly believe he made an appearance at all." She leaned closer to Charlotte's ear, "gout, you see, and quite a severe case."

"So, no dancing with the Duke, then."

Susan erupted in laughter. "If you were to persuade this particular Duke to dance, I should convince the Prince Regent to present you with an entire estate along with a title, for it would be nothing short of a miracle."