"There is no need to catch her in the act, Mr Parker," she smiled, "because Mr Bicknell and I have already arranged it."

Mr Bicknell chimed in at this, "Yes, a rather brilliant idea from Lady Worcester, I must admit. We were able to compile enough evidence to trace the forged document back to Mrs Campion herself. Eyewitness statements, accounts of her own footman entering and leaving the establishment of a known forger with the document in hand, and, thanks to a member of Lady Worcester's own staff, admission from the footman himself of what he was tasked to do. That, combined with accounts from you and your brother, denying that you signed the document would be enough to put a great deal of fear in any guilty party. You do know that the standard penalty for forgery is hanging, do you not?"

"Of course I do, but-" he dithered, looking down at his hands in his lap, "I would not wish that sort of punishment on my worst enemy."

"I admit that the evidence would produce a far more severe case than we ever thought possible," said Mr Bicknell.

He hesitated. "Mary...what would you do?"

She had been wringing her hands, and looked up, startled, "I-I am not gifted at this sort of thing, Sidney."

"And yet I value your opinion above all else at this moment."

She looked into the fire, deliberating silently, sorting her thoughts, "Use it if you must...but if it were me, I could not willingly be so harsh, even if someone had been equally as harsh with me. You have your evidence for protection, should she try anything, and that alone will keep Georgiana safe."

Sidney followed her gaze, staring at the hearth, nodding absently.

"Mr Parker, if I may," said Mr Bicknell, "this situation may be a means of lending you a bit of leverage, at least for now. Your ward will remain safe, no matter what."

"What is your meaning?"

"Well, I am told that she has nearly reached the age of twenty, is that correct?"

"Yes, she has."

"And, in the eyes of the Court of Chancery, she is old enough to have at least some say in who her guardian may be until she becomes of age."

"She would have a choice?"

"Yes, she would, and from what I have deemed from Mary's descriptions of her, she would be very unlikely to go with the alternative," Mr Bicknell's eyes twinkled. "Mr Parker, Miss Lambe will not be harmed in this. I can assure you of that."

Sidney felt as if he could breathe more freely at his words, but there was still something else that weighed upon his chest. "And what of Charlotte?"

Mary and Susan looked at each other, hesitating. "For that," Susan said cautiously, "we are going to need more information about what, exactly, Mrs Campion's terms were to keep you apart."

"The document stands if I am to continue seeing Charlotte, which it seems we have a solution for. But she has threatened to destroy Charlotte's reputation...to ruin her so severely that she would never marry, never be accepted in society."

Susan scoffed. "Always empty threats with that woman. What influence does she have that I cannot rise above?"

"But she is vicious, Susan," Sidney responded. "She will not back down and she will persist in harming Charlotte in whatever way she can until she knows she has won."

"And we are not ready for you to end it, altogether?" she asked, eyebrows raised.

"Sidney, you know we never wished for you to be harmed in this, or Charlotte, and if I have any say, you have quite suffered enough for all of us," Mary said, "Please, if it is a matter of your happiness, end it now. We will manage the fallout, one way or another."

"No," Sidney said, resolute, "I will not see you harmed, Mary, not after all you've been through with Tom. This can still be fixed." He sat back in his chair, elbows upon the armrests on either side, contemplating. "Why didn't you just tell me?" he asked, at last, looking beseechingly at Mary, "about all of it."

She tilted her head, and smiled, "Because, dear, I did not believe you would allow it to continue. Not then. Not in the state you were in."

"Sending me to London...the ball with Babington - that was all part of the plan?"

"Yes," said Susan, "although, I thought of it at the time as more of an experiment than an actual plan. We didn't truly know what might happen until we put you and Charlotte in the very same room together. From the little that she has shared with me, it was far more successful than I ever imagined, at least at first. But, Mr Parker, I must warn you that I'm afraid she has been very conflicted of late, ever since Mrs Campion returned."

Sidney felt his heartbeat quicken, "Has she...said anything?"

"That's the very thing, Mr Parker," said Susan, "she has hardly said a word."

"So, I am to lose her all over again. All in the name of protecting her."

"I will not deny that it is a risk, Mr Parker," said Susan, quietly, "you will have to tread carefully."

"Then, it is a risk I must take," he said, glancing up at her. "For Charlotte's sake, I cannot do otherwise."

"Well then," said Susan, "I believe it may be time to consult with Mr Bicknell about a way forward, and a means of getting you out of this mess for good. And as for Charlotte," Susan reached a hand out, placing it upon Sidney's arm, "know that she will never come into harm's way while she is with me."

-----------

Charlotte closed the door behind Mrs Campion that afternoon, the first tear falling just as the door latched, as if her mind had waited for the very sound before letting go. She flattened herself against the door, covering her mouth as great sobs escaped, the misery she felt settling permanently - because no matter how much she convinced herself that Mrs Campion had visited for the sole purpose of spouting empty threats, she could sense the truth in her words - and however imperceptible it may have been at first, the truth remained.