Chapter 18

The blast wasn't as big as the people who dropped the bomb had hoped for, but the devastation it left behind was as significant as it was inhumane. Since they were both so close to ground zero, death for both David and Ferguson was instantaneous as the blast obliterated everything within four square miles. The last thing David remember hearing before the blast took them both was Ferguson screaming as he was also being vaporized. David didn't make a sound as he braced himself for the pain that was to come. Yet the death was so instant, that the Portal pulled him out almost immediately, and he barely felt a thing as he opened his eyes and gasped for air as if he were waking up from a very bad dream. David's legs were a bit stiff at first, but as he slowly began to walk he began to notice that his skin was a little sensitive underneath his clothing, but as he started to walk out into the light, he also started to notice that the skin on his arms were as red as lobster claws. His skin was burned, as David looked as if he had spent way too much time out in the sun. There was also no sign of Ferguson, as it turned out what Ricky had told him was true. Unless the old man was holding or touching David when the blast occurred, the Portal wouldn't bring him back which meant the old man didn't make it out of Hiroshima alive. David didn't seem to care how much his skin hurt as he slowly exited the cave with a smile on his face to see that the plan he and Ricky had devised has worked perfectly. The sight that stood before him was magnificent as all the men that Ferguson had brought with him were all in cuffs and being taken away by state troopers and Marshals. Jerry and Lindsay where there as well and they both looked at David with surprised faces as they walked up to the face of the cave to greet him. Lindsay tried to grab his arm but recoiled back once she felt it his skin.

     "Your skin feels like it's on fire!" she told him. "Are you alright?"

     "I'll be alright," David replied, "Nothing a good ice bath can't help."

     "Holy crap, David," Jerry said as he looked him, "Did you take Ferguson to Cuba and get left out in the sun?"

     "Not exactly," David said, smiling back at his boss. "I took the old man out for morning stroll, in Hiroshima."

     "Oh boy, that would do it," Jerry said, as he pointed to one of the state troopers. "Trooper; where's the nearest drug store?"

     "About five to ten miles that way," The man said, pointing.

     Jerry walked up to him and handed him a few bills out of his wallet, "Get your ass down there and grab me as many bottles of solarcaine as you can, and then double back here. I'm not kidding, haul ass kid."

     "Yes Sir!" the Trooper said as he took the money and ran for his car.

     "Trust me, David." Jerry said, smiling back at David. "You're going to want that stuff for at least the next few days."

     "Thanks boss," David said, "Where's my brother?"

     "He's alright," Lindsay said, "He's back in the house."

     Lindsay carefully walked David back to the house, and helped him enter through the door leading into the kitchen. Once they were in the Kitchen, Ricky was exiting the elevator and walked over to grab his brother.

     "I got him from here, thank you." Ricky told her as he took David's hand.

     "Are you sure?" Lindsay asked.

     "I'll be alright Lindsay," David told her as he knew exactly where his brother was going to take him.

     Ricky took David to the elevator and then went back down to the medical bay and when the doors opened, Gail and the kids were already down there waiting. David looked over at Ousla with a stern look on his face.