Chapter 6

Ricky and his mother had just finished setting the table when Dad and David strolled into the room. It hadn't been as long since David had seen his mom but this was also the first time he had seen her since her passing as well. She was so much younger too as she stood there, surprised to see him. She looked back at Ricky, when a playfully stern look on her face.

     "Ricky," she said to him, "Why didn't you tell me you had brought a guest with you?"

     "I wanted it to be a surprise," Ricky answered honestly.

     "You see dear," she told her husband, "I told you he was gay."

     David and his father both roared with laughter, while Ricky was stunned at her mother's confession about her suspicions.

     "Mom!" Ricky called out, "I'm married to a wonderful woman named Gail!"

     "Who is this then?" she asked.

     "Honey," his father said, smiling. "This is David."

     David watched as his mother's eyes lit up like a spotlight upon hearing his name. She quickly ran up and hugged her son, and it felt really good to be in her arms for the first time in a very long time. David didn't want to let go, but reluctantly did and proceeded to take a seat at the table. She went off to the kitchen and then returned with a ham that had pineapples stuck to it by toothpicks. It looked the same as she had always served when he was a kid. It was over thirty years older so chances are his palate has to have matured a bit since then, so David was determined to just sit there and bear it.

     "Do you remember my Hawaiian ham, dear?" she asked as she served the massive ham.

     "How could I forget?" David said, putting on his best smile.

     "It's so good to have you both here!" she squealed as she left the dining room to get the other side dishes.

     David looked up at Ricky, who was trying hard not to laugh.

     "You're a real asshole, Ricky." David said low enough to make sure his mother didn't hear him from the kitchen.

     "What?" Ricky said, still trying to keep a straight face but was failing.

     "You know how much I hate this fucking ham," David continued, "but of all days you happen to pick the one when she makes it! Would it kill you to pick a day she made her amazing chicken and dumplings? Is this your way of thanking me? I just saved your damn life!"

     "Hold on," their father interrupted, "You saved his life?"

     "Someone attacked him at the hospital," David informed his old man, "Thankfully for Ricky a US Marshal was there to put two caps into his ass!"

     "When did this happen?" Dad asked.

     "Less than a day ago," Ricky answered, "That was how David found out about the portal. He was asking too many questions about the attack and I had to tell him the truth to get him off my back."

     "I'm an officer of the peace," David countered, "Old habits die hard. When I see someone lying their ass off, I can smell it like a fart in a car. And man, your story had more holes than Swiss cheese. You're lucky I got you out of that hospital before the local cops got their hands on you."

     "You were in a hospital?" Dad asked, "For how long?"

     "I was taken to hospital before Gail found out." Ricky explained, "Someone did take a shot at me and tried to get me to talk at the hospital. He was asking me about the key."