Chapter 16

Once the snipers in the trees spotted the metal barriers coming down to cover the windows, they fired off a few shots in an attempt to get some in before the windows sealed but it was far too late. The bullets popped off the metal sheets like bugs flicking harmlessly off a car's windshield on the highway. The two kids were startled, while Ousla remained pinned to the wall beside the button she just hit.

     "Damn it!" David said, as he hopped out of his chair, "That was close!"

     "Is everyone okay?" Gail said, looking around before checking herself for any potential bullet holes. "We're all good. Now what the hell was that?"

     "The foundation," David said, "Once they knew who I was it was only a matter of time before they followed us back here. We got to get out of here before they try to break in or start firing artillery that might break these walls. I'm sure you guys put in a few emergency exits in this place?"

     "We can check the cameras in the old house," Ousla replied, "If there's no one over there, then that's our best exit strategy."

     "She's right," David concurred, "We can head back using the turbot lift if there's no one at the old house. No need to exhaust other emergency exits unless we really have to."

     "Ricky's still in the cave!" Gail told him, "He's trapped outside."

     "They don't know about the cave," David replied, "These idiots think were using a machine somewhere here in the house, so Ricky is the safest of us all right now. Let's worry about ourselves and we'll come back for Ricky later."

     "Alright," Gail said, aware that David was right at the moment. "I'll go check the cameras."

     The two kids followed Gail out of the kitchen and Ousla was about to follow them as well but David grabber her arm to stop her.

     "Ousla," David started, "I remember you telling me that the new tech here was only for security and medical bay, but that's when Gail was around. I want you to tell me the truth: where are the weapons?"

     "What are you talking about?" Ousla said, "There are no weapons."

     "Ousla," David said, not letting go of her arm, "I know you're hiding from some very bad people, so I know there's no way in hell you wouldn't leave this place undefended if there was any chance these people might come after you. I get that you're scared of them, and I understand you will do anything not to go back. This is your home and if those bastards ever come back here to take you away, the only way they do it will be over mine and Ricky's dead bodies. I will help you when that time comes and even put my life down if I have to, but right now I need your help. I wouldn't put you in this position if all of our asses weren't on the line here. These people are here to kill us and when they realize they can't use the cave, they'll destroy it too. Help me take these bastards out before they take us out. So pretty please with sugar on top: where are the badass guns from the future?"

     Ousla paused for a moment and then sighed. "Come with me."

     David followed Ousla into what was her den where she worked on clothing and other artistic projects. She moved the sewing machine and underneath it was a hand print scanner. She put her hand on it and once it was successfully scanned, one of the walls opened up to show a whole wall littered with high tech weapons that David had never seen before. She grabbed one of the bigger guns that was about the size of a large assault rifle and passed it to David without hesitation.

     "This is the one you want," She explained, "That thing in the place where the magazine would normally be is a replication system."

     "What does that do?" David asked.