Chapter 16 - She's Back!

Start from the beginning

"Everyone's been saying that to me. I really ain't that brave, y'know, I've been scared this whole time," I admitted as I stood up and out of my chair.

"And you've handled this much better than a lot of people would. C'mon, go give that audience the best show ever. Word's been going around about tonight and a lot of people are gonna be watching. They all love you," Paul said.

"Will you be waiting at the side of the stage for me?" I asked.

Having him around genuinely made me feel better and more secure. I felt safe and like I didn't have to worry. There are those people that just bring you a kind of comfort you can't explain, like their presence is enough to ease you through everything. Paul was that person for me. I felt less stressed when he was around. It's not that I depended on him for happiness or anything, but he was more like a comfort to have. Kind of like a comfort blanket I guess.

He nodded and smiled as we walked from my dressing room to the side of the stage together. It felt great being back. "Of course I'll be there. Just look to the side if you need a friendly face, though I'm sure you'll be fine up there. You've got Ollie."

"Yeah I guess so. I just like knowing you're there," I said. 

Paul and I separated once I was behind the curtain at the back of the stage and he was at the side of the stage. The jitters kicked in and I felt my hands shaking from the adrenaline just from hearing the crowd. A smile came to my face just from the excitement of being out there again.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome your favourite host, Mallory McCain!" Ollie announced.

I pushed through the curtain and felt the lights shining on me as everyone cheered. They all had beaming smiled on their face and looked so happy to see me. For a moment, it made me forget my problems and kept me just in that moment. Those kind of reactions are ones you never forget. Everyone was standing up and clapping and cheering, it was all for me, and I couldn't believe it.

The band played amazingly as always as I made my way towards the guest couch, side hugging Ollie before we sat down. Even when we had sat and the band stopped playing, there was still the ongoing cheer. I looked to the side of the stage with a big smile, looking at Paul who was just in awe of what was happening. This wasn't any normal cheer. They just went on.

When it finally came to an end —their hands had to get tired at some point— I just let out a chuckle from how amazed I was. This wasn't something that just randomly happened. I don't know whether it was because they were excited I was back or because they read about what happened. It had gotten all over tabloids despite everyone trying to remain as quiet about it as possible.

"I've never seen you dress up so well," I chuckled.

"They told me I was supposed to dress like you so they couldn't tell the difference. I think I've done a good job, dressing up nice, yeah?" he replied.

"Ladies, do you think he's dressed up nice?" I asked, looking at the crowd.

All the girls in the crowd started cheering and screaming, Ollie and I chuckling from the reaction. Girls were always going crazy over my brother. In school, I remember all the girls telling me how cute Ollie was and I'd just roll my eyes because I thought he was gross, just as every sister thinks their brother is.

"Too bad, it's my show and I disagree," I said, getting a laugh from the audience.

"So, how have you been? The world's all wondering how their favourite host is," Ollie said.

"Well I've been getting better. I know everything that's happened has been all in the media, so there's no need for me to say anything, but I'm getting better with each day. I'm still taking things slow, little by little I'm getting used to life again and have been learning to cope. It's good, y'know, that I have this show where I can talk about this kind of stuff, because there's a lot of people who go through this and I'm doing this knowing that I'm helping at least some other person, and that always feels good," I said.

Ollie smiled and nodded. "Tell is about how your recovery's been."

I looked at the side of the stage again and saw Paul giving me a reassuring look, nodding his head at me. "Well I've had good company and help. Different people have been coming in and out to help, my best friend Shanice, my parents, Ollie here, even John Lennon, but the person who I've had stay with me for all that time is Paul. McCartney of course. He's just been amazing, he's been helping me and talking to me when I need it, and I'm glad I have him by my side."

"That makes sense. You two were like two peas in a pod while growing up, everyone saw one of you and expected the other pop up. Speaking of which, he is here tonight to support you, yes?" Ollie asked.

I nodded. "He helped me feel better and talked me through everything before I came up here. Can I invite him I stage?"

"It's your show, go ahead, Lory."

"C'mon, Paul," I called, looking over at him.

He walked on stage, quickly waving at the crowd who cheered like and for him as he walked over to the couch. Sitting down next to me, he smiled at everyone in the audience and settled into the couch.

"Enjoying the eye candy, ladies?" I asked, getting a laugh from the audience and a cheer from all the girls.

"They'd have to get pass you before they could get to us," Paul said. "Very protective, you are."

"It's not like just anyone can have my baby brother or my best friend, y'know," I said. "Anyway, this isn't no dating show!"

"Yes of course! Now, Paul, you've been there with Mallory during this whole recovery process, how has it helped you two rebuild that friendship you had," Ollie asked.

"Oh it's been amazing. You just get closer after living with someone and being the one to help them and talk to them when they need it, y'know. Of course, I think we would've done fine getting back to a good friendship like we had before, but this has really sped things up and we've gotten to know each other so well again," Paul said.

"You really don't know someone until you see how they are when you need them, and Paul has really been so attentive and caring this whole time. I think he came back into my life at a perfect time," I said.

I started blushing when I heard a few 'oohs' from the crowd, and they were clearly suggesting a romance between us. It wasn't anything new, the crowd loved any word of a relationship, but it was weird being the one they were ooh-ing about.

"Calm yourselves, that's only funny when someone else is the guest," I said to the audience, getting a laugh from them.

I couldn't help but feel terrible and so incredibly guilty when my mind lingered to Bella. Wondering if she were watching the show tonight, I thought about how she felt if she was. The nicest girls seem to always get ignored for lousy people like me. She deserved happiness, and I hate that Paul had left her for me.

Paul told me they ended it on good terms and she said she had been conflicted about how she felt every time he mentioned me or was around me. Apparently after a while, she wanted him to be with me and was happy when they broke up because she knew the both of them would be better off. Maybe she was just too sweet for her own good. They would've been nice together, I reckon.

As I drifted more into my thoughts while we were on commercial break, I suddenly got some kind of paranoia. Sure, I was in a room full of people, but I suddenly felt like he was watching me again. He very well could have been, I was on TV. This thing kicks in during the worst times and I hate that I can't control it.

Paul looked at me and gave me a worried look and it was as if we could talk through our eyes. He quickly motioned for a bottle of water and we were passed one by a swift crew member. Passing me it, I felt a bit of relief as I gulped it down, though it was only a very small amount of relief.

A worried feeling in the pit of my stomach came and I knew as soon as we were done I was gonna need to race to the bathroom, both to take the pills and then hide them in my bags again. Giving Paul a small smile to make him think I was fine, I carried on like it was nothing, though I craved for the pills.

**