.:And so you may live:.

CHAPTER 7

──────

My eyes fluttered open, met with the comforting sight of orange sunrays gently illuminating my dorm room. It always felt too bright to me, though- I prefer the darkness of night, but I knew I couldn't become a literal owl. I stirred up from my bed, staring solemnly at an empty pink bowl laying on the floor next to a bowl of water. As the world wakes me, I always remember that Lucy is still lost. I wanted to cry, or at least tear up-- but I knew I couldn't, even if I tried. I stumbled out of bed, almost crashing violently into the chair pushed in at my desk. I didn't care to make myself breakfast this time, pulling out the furniture and sitting comfortably as I pulled up my laptop screen. It took a moment to boot up, leaving me alone with the thoughts of that dream I had last night.

It started off completely normal to me. I was wandering in a forest, with my mother, siblings, and Lucy. I was lucky to have her. We stopped by a stream, where we started to get competitive with a group of enemies. I didn't know who -- or what they were. It was beyond my human comprehension, but I knew it was there. We had a fight-- not a full-on war fight like one would assume, but just like a friendly competition to capture fish in the middle of a lake. In the end, I had a feeling that we lost-- I didn't know whether or not it was true, though, because I was happy with my successes nonetheless. What happened next was beyond me.

I-- or rather, the dream version of me, hugged a very familiar boy. It was Zak. Why was he in my dreams? Something like this would be no cause to alarm, I'll admit- thinking irrationally about it was dooming me. After that, we had gotten into a boat and started cuddling. That was the weird part-- the cause for concern.

My thoughts flew wildly across my brain, scattering and regrouping like a bunch of uncoordinated pests. My laptop login screen stared back at me, and I quickly regained my focus. I had a paper to write. I yawned quietly, listening to the satisfying click of keys underneath my cold fingers. My screen shone a bright blue instead of silver, now, along with other features that indicated I had logged in. I let out a small breath, heading for my internet browser immediately. I was not at all prepared for the amount that I would have to write.

Or, the mental strain of today's events.

I was about an hour in a half into my paper, revising and reading articles seemingly simultaneously. My phone started to ring harshly, sounding the room with my childish ringtone. I immediately stopped what I was typing to snatch my phone from it's place by my laptop, barely noticing the number at the top of the screen before I pressed the neon green accept button. I put it up to my ear, feeling anxiety bubble up in my stomach as I spoke. "Hello?"

'Is this... Darryl Noveschosch?' A female voice spoke from the other side of the screen, earning a surprised look from me. I didn't recognize this person, and it was obvious that there was other things happening in the background at the same time as the call. The whine of the computer fan seemed to be louder than the conversation happening at the back, but I turned my attention back to the lady speaking to me.

"Yes...?" I replied, a bit more shaky than I would have liked. I swallowed the lump in my throat, bouncing my leg anxiously as I waited for an answer.

'Oh.' The female operator seemed to be struck with speechlessness, as if she hadn't expected me to say yes. 'We're calling in to inform you that Lucy-- the Maltese? White and fluffy, well-behaved?'

I felt my heart drop down into my stomach. Did they find her? Is she okay? Is she harmed? Why does she sound so concerned? I fought back the sting in my chest and eyes, muttering a small 'yes' and let her continue.