43. i love you

I love you

Keith grinned, the words overcoming him as Lance smiled down at him, the rain sillouhetting his glowing body.

"Unconditionally." Keith said, pulling Lance into a hug.

Lance hugged back, feeling Keith's heartbeat against his. He'd never felt so complete.

He wanted to stay like that forever, Keith's warm hands under his shirt, his lips in Keith's hair. They fit like a puzzle, one Lance could never solve before.

And then there were more hands, more hair, more bodies, as screams and laughter bombarded the boys. Their friends enveloped them in excitement, as the boys pulled apart, red in the face.

Their commotion was suffocating, words of encouragement and squeals of congratulations. Their questions were just white noise- Did this mean they were dating? When's the wedding? Who confessed first? Why the hell did Lance push Keith?

But to the boys, it was all poorly filtered through their hectic brains- neither had recovered from the kiss, the words, this feeling.

The night blurred, with the partygoers cleaning up and dropping off their last minute gifts, or throwing off heavily garmented costumes.

Lance found himself in a trance, leaving Keith's chest in the pouring rain, warming up and staring at his glowing cerulean eyes in the bathroom mirror. He and Keith found themselves drifting through the room, with eyes only for each other. Their attention was elsewhere, and it was clear to everyone.

When Lance got back home in the thunder stricken weather, he couldn't keep his eyes off the moon, and his mind off Keith.

He practically broke his legs scampering across his bedroom floor when his phone rang.

"Keith?" Lance asked, breathing heavily. He didn't know why his palms were sweating, especially now.

" Lance. "

Lance felt his heart rate speed up at the sound, a smile creeping across his cheeks. "Hey."

Keith sat in his bed, eyeing the pile of presents at the foot of it. He gripped the phone. "Hi."

" ...what's up? "

Keith rolled his eyes. "The sky."

" Duly noted, mullet. "

They sat in silence for a while, but not the awkward kind. It was comforting, as they both stared up at the same moon, reflecting on their smiling eyes.

"Keith?"

" Yeah? " Keith stifled a yawn.

"What are we now?"

Keith blushed. It was a good question.

"....what do you want to be?" His heart was pounding against his chest, his thoughts full of Lance in blue and gold, shining like the moon, droplets of rain on his gorgeous eyelashes and freckles.

So close.

He heard Lance sigh, such an innocent and delicate sound that Keith found himself smiling for no reason at all. 

"I..." Lance's voice peeped up. " I want to be yours. "

Keith smiled to himself, as he stared up at his ceiling. He could almost feel Lance's presence next to him. His warm hands, and the feel of his eyes on Keith. 

"Then, you're mine. "

...

They woke up to the ongoing call, hands sore from gripping their phones late into the night. But they were smiling.