Chapter Twenty-Three: Alex

"This is our favorite place to go at night when we want to be alone and away from people," Dana explained as she led Alex along the path. Reina followed with a picnic basket and blanket. "It's just off the border from being on pack property."

"Speaking of, what's the deal with the Royal Pack having control over the whole town? Seems a little unfair to the other supernaturals living here. Having to listen to the werewolf leaders."

"The town is under the protection of the Royal Pack. It still as is own government. A mayor and what not," Reina answered frowning slightly at Alex's tone. "Most of the other supernaturals in town are either mated to a member of the pack or here as diplomatic emissaries from their own communities. Almost all of the humans in town are mates or families of the pack. Some however were invited based on skill or some other unique skillset." Reina's explanation was paused however when the three mates arrived at a small meadow. Dana led them into the middle of the clearing, then Reina set the picnic basket down and spread out the blanket. Alex took a seat on the edge of the blanket while Dana sat near the top and Reina took the other side leaving the basket in the middle of the cloth.

"This is just full of cookies and cake," Alex said as she was watched Reina begin to unpack the basket.

"Of course, silly. It's 1030 at night. It's too late for an actual picnic," Dana teased.

"We started coming out here to be alone, eat desserts and look at the stars." Reina explained as she handed Alex a Red Velvet Cake. It was small square piece in a plastic box, like the kind one would get from the grocery store.

"I love Red Velvet Cake!" Alex smiled. "How'd you know?"

"You mentioned one time in Chem," Dana said. Alex looked surprised. She didn't even remember telling them her favorite dessert. After receiving a plastic fork, she began to eat while Dana and Reina dug into their favorite cakes. German Chocolate and Confetti respectively. Reina continued her explanation of the Royal Pack.

"Your foster moms are example of humans being brought in because of their skills. Grace Stonewall-Smith is a 'teacher of the year' for five years running and Dr. Emma Stonewall-Smith is a highly skilled cardiologist. When the Royal Pack heard that Grace was looking for a new job...well such an opportunity to get two highly skilled people couldn't go unpassed"

"Can I ask? Why haven't you told them that you're a werewolf?" Dana questioned.

Alex sighed into her cake, "partly I didn't think they would believe me and partly I didn't want to get them involved in the craziness of the supernatural world...though I guess that doesn't matter now. With Jason being mated to that one guy from the Royal Pack."

"Nick?" Reina asked.

"Yeah. Him." Alex sighed setting down her finished cake in the basket and laying down. She was so tall her feet stuck out nearly a foot from the edge of the blanket. Reina made a mental note to double check the length of their blankets in her room. "I suppose they'll know about all of this soon enough."

Dana and Reina finished their cakes and placed their trash in the basket. Dana remained crossed legged cuddling her stuffed duck but leaned back enough to stare at the sky. Reina laid down parallel to Alex and placed her head on Dana leg. She moved the basket to her other side leaving the blanket empty except for the three of them. They laid there quietly watching the stars for a few moments. The only sound was the soft chirping of crickets.

"Alex," Dana murmured softly. Alex let of a soft hmm in response. "Can I ask you another random question?"

Alex rolled over onto her side and shifted her position to look up at Dana. "What's up?"

"Why is your last name Xander?"

"Why is yours Greene?" Alex responded teasingly before sighing anxiously and running a hand through her hair. "It's a long story."

"We have all night," Reina murmured placing a hand on Alex arm.

Alex sighed again and rolled over again to stare at the stars. "I was found as a baby near a hiking trail. The only clue to my identity was the baby blanket I was swaddled in. Stitched into a corner was my first name. Alexandra. And my birthdate. No last name. No clue as to how I ended up abandoned in the middle of nowhere. I spent my early years being passed around various orphanages and foster homes. Not really having a last name to call my own. Then I ran away from a foster home and shifted for the first time. 'bout a year later I was stopped by a couple of cops. They thought I was a truant. When they asked me for my last name, I panicked. The only name that would come to mind is Xandara's but I thought the cops wouldn't buy that as a name. So, before I could stop myself I said my last name was Xander. And it just kinda stuck..." Alex's voice got quieter then trailed off as she finished her story. Dana slid closer to Alex, leaving Reina to prop herself on her elbow.

"I'm sorry," Dana started but was cut of by Alex letting out a humorless laugh.

"I've never told anyone that before." Alex muttered irritably. "Matter of fact, I never told anyone how I got this scar on my face," referring to their conversation at the coffee shop. "Suddenly, I meet you guys and I'm spilling of my secrets. Why?" Alex sat up. "Why do you two bring everything out of me?" Her voice was soft and uncertain. It had a desperate rasp in it, like she was fighting tears.

Dana and Reina exchanged a look. Reina sighed, "I don't know. Really. I could sit here and say that it's because the Moon Goddess paired the three of together. And so we're destined to fall in love...but I don't think that's the answer you want. We are soul mates. We promise that we will never judge you."

Alex still looked slightly upset, so Dana moved closer to her. "Alex," Dana sighed. "I know its hard opening up to others."

Alex gave her a disbelieving look. "Yeah, right," she scoffed. "You two have had the perfect life. Growing in a pack surrounded by people who love you for you."

Dana sighed sadly, "my parents died when I was eight." She looked straight into Alex's eyes. "It was a car accident. I had gone over to a friend's house for a sleepover, I had a bad dream couldn't stand spending the rest of the night there. So, I called my parents to come and pick me up. It was late and dark. They were hit and killed by a drunk driver." Dana paused taking a deep shuddering breath. "I blamed myself for years. If only I had been a little bit braver. If I just could've spent the night. They would still be alive...I still blame myself."

"Dane," Alex said softly leaning in close. "You were a kid. It wasn't your fault." Dana had tears dripping down her face. Alex quietly wiped them away leaving her hand resting on Dana's cheek.

"Did you just call me Dane?" she let out a weak laugh trying to lift the mood but then sniffled, "Reina said the same thing when I told her about my parents." She glanced over her shoulder. Reina scooted closer and wrapped an arm around Dana's waist. Leaving her sandwiched between her two mates.

"Reina is smart," Alex murmured leaning in close. "So are you. You bring out the best in her. In me..." Alex was mere inches from Dana. They were staring into each other eyes. "You're so beautiful," Alex glanced at Reina, a blush forming on her face. "You both are." Alex looked like she was about to move away in embarrassment. Her cheeks were flushed. Dana snaked a hand around the back of Alex's head and pulled her closer. Gently connecting their lips.

Alex's eyes widened in alarm. Dana was kissing her! She could see Reina gently nuzzling Dana's neck, a happy smile on her face. Alex closed her eyes and kissed back. Tingles erupted up and down her spine. Their lips parted slightly, and Dana's tongue reached out and touched her own. Not trying to dominate but seemingly trying to invite her own tongue to follow back. Pulling back Alex gently stroked what looked like a small tattoo on Dana's neck, just above her collarbone. It depicted three wolves howling at the full moon, but it was very faded. Before Alex could ask about it, Reina gently leaned forward and kissed her as well. Sending more sparks racing up and down her spine.

The three of mates stayed in each other's embraces for an eternity underneath the stars.