Calm Before the Storm.

Start from the beginning

"And they should be," Legolas spoke in Elvish, knowing that most of not all the villagers couldn't not understand him, "Three hundred against ten thousand!"

Aragorn sighed and decided to use Elvish as well, "They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras."

"Aragorn, they cannot win this fight! They are all going to die!" He said solemnly in Elvish.

"Then I shall die as one of them!" Aragorn yelled in the common tongue.

It wasn't subtle anymore and I saw some of the villager's eyes fill with fear. To have the only experienced fighters in the room argue over their dwindling chances wasn't a good sign for them.

Aragorn turned and stormed out of the room. Legolas made to follow him but Gimli grabbed his arm.

"Let him go, lad. Let him be." He sighed.

I made my way into a side chamber, newt to the armoury. I would find myself something after all the other 'soldiers' were gone. I sat there, sharpening all my blades with a whetstone when Legolas entered.

He handed me a full quiver of arrows which I took greatfully. He took out his own short swords and began sharpening them.

We all knew what the night would being and I had no doubt, all my weapons would come in handy.

Legolas was right though, we didn't stand a chance against the Uruks. We might be able to hold the keep for a time but eventually they would breech the gates and flood the fortress.

Helm's Deep wasn't just a safe haven of Rohan, it would also be a trap.

If Rohan was victorious and the Uruks didn't storm the keep then it would continue to be a safe haven. But should the Uruks flood the keep, all the refugees in the Glittering Caves would be trapped inside with no escape, leading them to be helpless lambs to the slaughter.

Deciding not to dwell on such a horrid subject, I tried to busy my mind with other things.

One of which brought me back to Legolas. I hated how easily he had invaded my mind.

He was handsome of course, I had just be given much thought to it before. He was a little baby-faced and it would be easy to mistake him from a woman at the wrong angle, but he was quite handsome.

He was very skilled in combat, though I had still yet to challenge him to a sparring match.

He wasn't like most men as well. He was kind (when he wanted to be) and caring. Unlike Boromir who taunted me because I was a woman, Legolas had never done so. In fact, I was the one who insulted his masculinity on a daily basis by nicknaming him 'Princess' and calling him delicate. Turns out I am a hypocrite.

I turned to Legolas slowly, putting the whetstone down and putting away the last of my daggers.

"I've been thinking about what you said," I sighed quietly, "About what we would do after the Ring is destroyed."

"Forgive me, it wasn't my place to say anything," He said, making to leave but I grabbed his hand and forced him to stay.

"No, forgive me. All I've done on this trip is insult you. I just never thought anyone would see anything in someone like that," I sighed, my teeth gritted from admitting the truth.

He chuckled at this and squeezed my hand, making me look up at him as he smirked.

"It's true, you're stubborn, rude, reckless and hot-headed," He nodded, "But I wouldn't have you any other way. You're also smart, cunning, talented and funny."