"Well," Zena, now beaming at the slang he had used, answered. "We are quite thrilling aren't we, Dan?" she laughed, playfully slapping Daniel's shoulder.

"Daring," he exclaimed, dramatically, "Bold, fearless. We would jump off a moving train if we could.

Connor hoped they were joking, but the room was devoid of sound.

"Aw, his expression, man," Ray cried out, causing an outbreak of laughs from even Connor this time.

"Well, one more question. Why don't Thunderthrillers trust the Telepathists?"

The temperature seemed to drop ten degrees. All laughing stopped, smiles wiped off their faces.

"We don't talk about the Telepathist Rebellion," Daniel said, finally talking in complete words, and Connor slipped back into his friends' booth, pondering their conversation.

* * * * *

The DC air was moist, rain soaking their clothes as they marched up the busy streets. Anyone here would surely recognize Connor and Evie at first glance so they all needed to be careful to avoid streets near the White House, Capitol or really any streets that may host a single person they knew, which was everywhere. Lucky for them, they only had to walk a few miles, slightly into DC from the Potomac Airport where they had landed only an hour before.

Connor's feet ached and he was dying to see his family once more. The time they had been separated had been the scariest and most difficult time of his life. As they got closer to the place he once called home like so many others before him, all these feelings came rushing to him at once, overwhelming him.

Right then, he was thankful for the rain that masked his tears, and by the time he got himself under control, Ray was telling them to go through a door that had seemed to appear out of nowhere.

They all stared in wonder at the new phenomenon. Once inside, Connor was breathless from the beauty of the chamber. It was large and round with shining stone walls, a sitting area, a small food court, and a large open space in the middle where a few children, no older than twelve, were having a fist fight, the occasional blast of light from a palm.

"You should all sleep," Daniel ordered. "Your reading will be the first thing tomorrow and your training can start the day after. I'll escort you to the initiate bedroom, you can follow the crowd to dinner."

Without protest they all followed through one of the long hallways, turned a few times, then when Connor's feet felt like they would collapse under him, they reached a room with four rows each with eight bunk beds in them.

"Take any unoccupied bed. After your reading tomorrow you will be formally welcomed to the Thunderthriller community."

Daniel practically ran away while the four of them made their way to two beds in the back corner.

"Well," Lielle said groggily, "I'm gonna hit the showers and then walk around. Feel free to join me."

They all knew she wanted time to herself so none of them followed. Connor watched her wrapped up ankle as it slapped the stone floor. Daniel claimed to have sent it on the path to healing, but nothing can be healed instantly, only sped up. As long as she was on the way to being back at full strength, Connor was okay, even if it took a few days.

"So, Connor," Cassidy started uncomfortably. "Your father is a Thunderthriller? Is he here?"

"Not that I know of," he replied wearily. "He's still the president. There's more important stuff than me- No, for the Thunderthrillers too. They may not have even told him I'm here yet."

"Connor," Evie wept, "Do you really think my parents are fake?"

Connor motioned for Cassidy to leave while he tried to reassure her.

"Even if they are telling the truth," he began, pulling her into his chest, "It doesn't change who you are. If you really want you and this other man, Oliver Glasser, can get tested, but you are always told that you look nothing like your parents or sister. Besides, if it is true, it can get you a higher status here which could get us valuable information."

Evie sniffed. "But-but, I-I don't know what to-what to think. It's a lot to wrap my head around and I think it might be true. Connor tell me I'm crazy," she pleaded, pulling her tear streaked face away from him.

"I believe that whatever happens you are still Evie Sophia Hallman, and you will still be a kind, sensitive girl. But if you think about it, Diana Hallman and Layla are still Thunderthrillers if she is Oliver's sister."

"Do you think Layla will look here for me?"

"I think-"

"Evelin Glasser," a young girl called in awe. "Someone is here for you in the Freespace. I can bring you there if you'd like. You can come too," she added, wide eyed at Connor.

"Um, okay. Let's go, Connor," Evie pulled on his arm.

The three of them followed the same path from earlier while the girl introduced herself as Elizabeth Masterlin, a Runner.

The instant they rounded the corner into the Freespace, Evie broke away in a rush of brown and pounced on a girl with black hair and beautifully tanned skin. Layla.

The sisters buried themselves in each other. Layla spoke in worried whispers, Evie in full out sobs.

"I'm going to go back," Connor told Elizabeth.

Elizabeth nodded as Connor jogged back the way he came. Was his sister on her way? Would Jean still want to be around Connor after he was gone for so long? She must hate him. She wouldn't want to be anywhere near her horrible brother.

"Connor?" asked a small voice behind him.

He'd know that voice anywhere. He ran over and crushed the little girl in his arms, crying into her dirty blonde hair. Nothing else mattered as her little hands wrapped around him and squeezed him back. Finally, he was home.