Chapter 27: Falling

Comenzar desde el principio

Miracle's eyes met Blue's once again, his gaze telling her to remain calm, promising that he would get her out of this mess. Blue nodded minutely.

"Let her go," Miracle repeated, more firmly this time, his eyes burning, his hands twitchy at his side.

"I would gladly," Evil said, sneering. "If you call off this fight. In fact, here's a deal for you. I would let go each and every one of those beings I have captured. All I ask is that you persuade Goodness to come out of this girl's body."

Miracle snorted. "First of all, you're in no position to make deals. You're not going to win this, Evil. Second of all, what makes you think Goodness will listen to me? Third of all, even if I somehow managed to cajole her out of Blue's body, where do you suppose she would even go? We cannot be used as hosts. And it's not like she would willingly step inside the sarcophagus. No one would let her either."

"That is not my problem, unfortunately," Evil spat. "You figure that part out and I would let you all go. You have my word."

"Your word means nothing to me!"

Blue couldn't see Evil but she could feel the anger vibrating through his chest. He said, mordantly, "I had hoped you would listen to me willingly but it seems like you need a bit of an encouragement."

Blue screamed as suddenly Evil blasted away a part of the wall, creating a jagged hole, the wind roaring inside. She thrashed as he dragged her over to the edge. Shrieking, she felt the world tilt at her feet, the cold night air washing over her. Blue's feet slipped on the rim of the hole but before she could fall, a hand wrapped around her wrist. Evil's hand.

"No! Blue--!" Miracle had started to scream but paused, breathing hard and fast, when he realised Evil hadn't yet allowed her to fall to death.

Blue's heart was speeding as she gauged the fall. It was a long way down, indeed.

Down the length of the Lighthouse, then tumbling down the hill and on to the beach, the sharp, serrated rocks protruding from the sand...

Despite herself, tears appeared on her eyes, streaming down her cheeks, the fear getting the worst of her.

And despite herself, she found herself saying, "Papa, please..."

For an ephemeral second, Evil stilled, his eyes meeting her.

Blue, Goodness cried from inside her, so loud it was almost jarring, now!

Blue swallowed and, out of all the things to do, she started singing.

The lyrics were written in her papa's diary. It had almost escaped her mind that she had brought Markus's journal along with her from the ship.

When Evil had announced that he had seen Miracle and Sherry coming their way for a rescue mission, he had quickly ordered everyone to empty the main chamber. Blue was dragged away into a tiny room – more of a closet actually – by Warren. She didn't know what had happened to Love but suspected Evil had made good on his threat and locked up Love in the sarcophagus too.

Alone in a dark, damp closet with Warren, Blue had taken out her papa's diary that she had almost forgotten she still carried. Warren had hesitantly handed her a torch (the exact one he had hit her with) and, sniffing, she had read through the pages, huddled in the dark, calming down slightly as she read his sweet, sweet words, all directed towards her. It had pained her more than it had healed. But, still, at that moment, she was ready to hold on to whatever she could get.

It was then, in one of those pages, she had found a song written by her papa. Those words had jogged a memory in her and she had recalled that when he was not busy being an officer, he was a bit of a romantic. Ma had told her, in one of her bed time stories, that that was how he had wooed her into marrying him too.

But, more than that, it was a song he used to sing to her when he would take a rare leave from his duty and come home for a few days. Blue only vaguely remembered it but she knew it had meant a lot to him.

So, right now, with the world below her feet, its gravity threatening to drag her down and only the hand of the man who used to be her father tethering her, she sang, her voice slightly off-key but effervescent and saccharine.

Evil's eyes widened and something flashed through his gaze. He frowned, closing his eyes, a vein pulsing in his forehead. Suddenly, he let out a muffled, tortured scream. Yet, when he opened his eyes...

They weren't dark no more, they were green.

Blue stopped singing, her voice faltering. Even Miracle was gaping.

"P-Papa?" Blue asked, daring to hope, as the man before her stared, drawing her away from the edge gently. He fell to his knees, his hands shaking but his eyes never leaving Blue's. Blue swallowed, repeating, "Papa, is that you?"

"I-It is me," the man whispered, his voice no longer carrying that hard, vicious edge. "Blue?"

"Papa!" Blue started to exclaim, a disbelieving smile tugging at her lips when suddenly Markus coughed, his eyes turning into saucers, his hand clutching his hair desperately.

"Blue!" Markus cried urgently, holding her hands tightly. "He's taking control again. I c-can't stop him--"

"No!" Blue shouted in despair as Markus's eyes rolled in his head and when he blinked them open again, they were a pitch black.

"Thought you could get rid of me so easily, love?" Evil growled. He didn't wait for an answer. He didn't even hesitate this time because the next thing Blue knew, she was falling. 

Whoops, so that happened lmao

I would have totally written the song Blue sang but, let's be real, I'm no lyricist. Besides, there's one song that goes extremely well with this situation. I'm sure you might have guessed it. 'Remember Me', of course! But I am not sure if I'm allowed to use that song in my story, because the next thing I know, people would call me a plagiarist. So, I didn't. But you can imagine that song as the one Blue sang hehe. 

Anyways, don't forget to press that star button, pwease :3