Chapter 5 - Part 1

Keri

It was only once I'd moved my mom to the medical center under Curtis' watchful eye that I began to relax a little, although I knew it wouldn't be that easy. My mother had endured years of abuse and mistreatment. It was hard to keep my emotions in check while Curtis examined her. She looked so breakable. Her frame was thin and fragile from lack of proper meals. The scars on her thin arms and legs were permanent reminders of the physical abuse she'd endured from the monster that had been my father.

I was on edge the entire time Curtis checked her over. Kyle had given me privacy to stay with my mom while she got examined. I'd been surprised that he'd allowed it. Curtis smiled down at my mom, who was a little frightened at the change of scenery. She'd spent so many years in her dark cell that the new environment, even though it was nicer, had her on a nervous edge.

"It's okay," I soothed as I reached for her hand and held it in mine. I had to swallow the emotion that wanted to bubble over out into the open.

"The nurse is going to come in to check on you and I'm just going to step out to talk to Keri for moment," Curtis told my mom gently. With wide eyes she gently nodded her head and turned to me.

"I won't be long," I assured her before I gave her hand one last squeeze.

The nurse entered and I followed Curtis out. I knew the news wasn't going to be good and I could feel a sense of dread growing in the pit of my stomach. I knew Curtis, and the way he was acting was a sign that it was going to be bad news. Trying to remain calm on the outside while my emotions swirled around inside of me wanting to break free was so difficult.

Curtis turned to face me and I was aware that Kyle was leaning against the wall of the hallway, watching us from a couple of feet away. Curtis' eyes softened. It was a bad sign.

"It's worse than I expected," he started and I felt like someone had physically punched me in the stomach.

Worse than he expected was so much worse than I'd ever contemplated. He let out a sigh as he reached for my hand but I pulled away from him and took a step back.

"Spit it out," I demanded fiercely. It didn't matter how he told me, it wouldn't make it any easier to deal with.

"She isn't going to make it," he stated. The sentence echoed in my mind as I struggled to process what exactly it meant.

"The malnutrition and abuse has taken its toll on her body and it's only a matter of time before her body starts to shut down," he further explained gently.

I felt a presence behind me but I ignored it. All I could think about was my fragile mom, who I'd tried my best to keep safe, was going to die.

"How long?" I asked calmly. I had no idea how I'd managed to keep from falling apart.

The only person who'd ever loved me was going to be taken from me and I would be alone.

"A week...maybe two," he stated softly.

A week or two wasn't long enough to say goodbye to my mom.

"I'll make her as comfortable as possible," Curtis added.

I gave him a brief nod as I took a deep breath. I felt a hand give my shoulder a gentle squeeze and I turned to see Kyle trying to console me. Shaking off his hand, I pushed away the pain inside of me. It took a few moments.

Once I was in control, I walked back into my mom's room and plastered a smile on my face. I'd make sure she didn't have one more moment of worry or sorrow for the short time she had left. For the next few hours I ignored the responsibilities of being the new alpha of the pack. I gave a few orders while I stayed with my mom.

The nurses had cleaned her up and Curtis had put her on a drip for calories and medication. I brushed her hair from her forehead as she slept peacefully. I wanted to stay with her and spend every moment she was still here with her but I had to take care of my pack. My pack was already in a weakened state from the attack on Cade's pack and the morale was low.

I needed to get everything running smoothly, and fast. Other surrounding packs would try to take over my pack if I didn't get things back in order fast. There were a few things that I had to do. One would be to organize the burial of my father's body. If it were up to me, I'd burn his body and throw it out in the forest without a proper burial, but I had to follow protocol.

Another task I had to complete was to choose a beta to be my second in charge. The existing beta, Richard, had to be replaced. He was an older werewolf like my father and had enjoyed following the orders of my cruel father. I couldn't have someone like that as my second in charge. I needed someone that had the same values as I did and someone I could trust.

Richard wouldn't handle the demotion well and if I had to I would expel him from the pack. If he remained in the pack I'd always have to be looking over my shoulder to make sure he wasn't pushing a knife into my back.

Everyone gather outside the cafeteria, I instructed to every member of my pack through the mind-link.

Kyle was still leaning against the wall, waiting for me, when I stepped into the hallway. I ignored him as I walked past him toward the exit. I hated that he'd witnessed Curtis telling me about my mom. I didn't want to appear weak in front of anyone, never mind the alpha of another pack.

Silently he followed me from the medical center to the main building that housed the gym and cafeteria. The crowd was still growing as I stood facing the people that now depended on me for guidance. On the outside I looked confident like an alpha leader should, but inside I was a bundle of nerves. The fear of failure grew inside of me.

What if I fail them? I shook myself mentally. I couldn't think like that. I had to be confident and I had to believe that I would be able to do the job.

My father, as you all know, was killed. I've been given his body to bury, I communicated, beginning my speech through the mind-link. Tomorrow morning we will lay him to rest.

A few pack members nodded their heads.

I will be making some changes that will be for the benefit of the pack. Trust that I know what will be best for you. A few curious looks past my shoulder to Kyle reminded me that I had to explain to them who he was and why he was here. Attacking another pack without a reason was wrong. The other packs are unsure of whether we can be trusted. Their alphas came together and agreed that we will be watched until such time as they think we can be trusted.

I saw a few fierce looks from the male werewolves but I ignored them. It was an ego thing and they'd need to get over it.

Kyle is here to keep an eye on us. No one is to harm him, otherwise they will face serious repercussions. I didn't need to add that he was an alpha of another pack. The other werewolves would be able to sense it.

The silence that followed, I took as acceptance. I dismissed them and turned to face Kyle. He hadn't been able to follow the speech because he wasn't a member of my pack.

"No one will give you any trouble," I told him. He gave me a brief nod.

I showed him to the empty room that was located beside mine. When I entered my room I closed the door and slid down. My emotions broke free and I sobbed as I dropped my head into my hands. I allowed myself one heart-wrenching cry before I stopped the free-flow of emotions through me. I stood up and wiped the tears from my face.