Mother Always Knows Best

Start from the beginning

A small smile appeared on Damian's lips as he watched the older boy leap off the edge of the rooftop with elegance, disappearing into the blinding lights of Gotham City. "Show off," he muttered, letting his smile linger for a while before he too sprang off the building, and found himself swinging through the streets once again.

It wasn't long before all five vigilantes split off into different sections of the crime-ridden city.

***

Damian sat perched upon the stone wall watching the fight taking place beneath him. He kept to the shadows, waiting for the opportune moment to strike. He was learning-- watching their movements, trying to find a weakness. They were sloppy, and soon it would be too late for them to realize it.

He watched as Batman dodged and kicked and punched— all without effort— and sent the thugs sailing across the alley, smacking against the hard ground.

More of them came storming out of the building across the street, firing their weapons at the black-masked hero of Gotham. It was a futile attempt, of course, the Bat had spotted them immediately and proceeded to take them down, effortlessly dodging every bullet as he did so.

Damian observed from his position in complete awe; Bruce was an excellent fighter, he could give his grandfather a run for his money.

Two of the thugs that had been knocked down only seconds ago began to groan and stumble to their feet. Damian quickly glanced over to Bruce, who at the moment was too busy avoiding bullets and had yet to notice the two men approaching from behind.

"Tt." Damian sprung into action, hurriedly jumping from the wall, letting himself free-fall for a brief moment, before gripping hold of a rusted pipe that was sticking out the side of a building. He swung back and forth, giving him the momentum he needed to deliver the surprise attack he was going for.

He landed on his feet behind them, startling the pair for a moment before they remembered the fully loaded guns in their grip and took aim.

Damian flipped and rolled away, completely dodging the rapid gunfire. He pulled the small knife out from his boot, plunging it into the calf of one of the men as he slid in between the two of them. The man cried out in pain as he dropped his gun and clutched his hand over his bleeding calf, "SON OF A BITCH!" He collapsed to his knees, making the unholy mistake of removing the blade from his leg, "kill that kid!" He yelled to his accomplice as he watched the blood ooze out of his wound, covering his dark skin.

As soon as the gun was cocked he aimed and fired, repeatedly missing his target by mere seconds. This kid was fast.

Too fast it seemed; not a moment later, Damian was seizing the gun tightly and shoving it hard into his attacker's face, stunning him. Damian then took his opportunity, slamming his fist against the man's jaw, and executing a Muay Thai roundhouse kick to the backs of his knees, quickly sending him to the floor.

Damian then turned to the other wounded criminal, delivering one final blow to the man's skull, leaving both men groaning in a mixture of pain and frustration. Damian, satisfied with his work, went to retrieve his blade from where it had been left on the ground.

Bruce returned to the alley, eyeing the two men on the ground who were inching closer to the state of unconsciousness by the minute. He spotted Damian in the corner wiping the back of his blade against his leg. He raised an eyebrow quizzically as he turned to look back at Damian's handiwork; it was a clean takedown and Damian had made it look easy.

"You told me to watch your back, right?" Damian confirmed as he advanced towards Bruce.

"Indeed," Bruce replied, deep and low. He eyed the silver knife in the boy's grip, "the blade?"