Shards Of Steel

The helicopter landed just outside the fortress. It was early in the morning, so the sun had yet to rise.

four figures stepped out of the shadows and into the clearing where the helicopter was. There was a slight chill in the air, despite the usually warm climate of the island. The engine slowed to a stop once the four silhouettes came into view. They were all clad in black, easily blending into the darkness of the early morning.

Three of them climbed inside the transport whilst the other remained just outside, waiting.

"My Lady, I really must insist that we leave as soon as possible."

Silence.

She understood the urgency, however, she had yet to say goodbye, so she waited. The breeze picked up slightly, letting the scarf over her head blow gently in front of her eyes.

A few more minutes had passed, and she began to grow impatient, wondering if he would ever come. Soon enough, she saw the outline of her father strolling towards her. She embraced him as they met, finding comfort that she was in her father's arms.

"You know what I expect of you, my darling."

Talia pulled away from the embrace to look at her father in the eye. She nodded, she understood, but she hoped it wouldn't come to that.

"I will find him, father. I will bring him back to us."

Ra's smiled at his daughter, seeing what she had become, filled him with pride. She will not fail him. He placed his hands on her shoulders, running his thumbs along the leather material.

"I expect you will do what needs to be done, to ensure our Damian is returned safely." He pulled her into his arms once again for a final embrace, leaning closely into her ear. "And I expect, should you fail to bring him back, for you to eliminate him."

Talia let her eyes close for a brief moment. She hoped she wouldn't have to. She hoped Damian would be smart enough to know that his fate would be sealed, should he refuse to return with her. It mattered not to Ra's, what Damian's answer would be. Damian didn't know, of course, but they did. They both wanted the perfect heir, so many test subjects had been and gone, and so many could still be made.

But Talia had raised the boy since birth, she had trained him, she had bonded with him. She loved him. Regardless of what Ra's wanted, Damian was still her son, her own blood.

"I will not fail," she promised as she pulled away from the embrace, determination set in her eyes.

Ra's smiled down at her and placed a light kiss to her brow, releasing her hands from his. He watched her stride away from him and step into the helicopter before the engine started. It hovered above the ground for a moment before speeding off and out of sight.

Ra's loved his daughter, he loved all his children in his own way. And he was proud of what Talia had accomplished by remaining by his side all these years. But as he watched his beloved daughter leave his side for the first time in years, he felt nothing.

***

"Suit up."

Tim awoke immediately, having felt the slight weight of his suit drop on top of him. He sat up, rubbing his eyes, trying and failing to see in the dark.

The light was suddenly switched on, causing Tim to shield his eyes from the blinding light. Once his eyes adjusted, he saw Bruce stood by the door, dressed in his Bat suit minus the cowl.

"Bruce?" Tim yawned, "I thought we weren't patrolling tonight?"

"We weren't. But, I changed my mind," Bruce stated, shrugging his shoulders, "Come on, suit up. I'm not going to wait all night!"