Chapter 35

Author's Note: In case any of y'all were wondering what said blue-ringed octopus looks like, it's in the sidebar picture. Enjoy! (Now I'm off to further marathon more of the Pretty Little Liars. I'd love and appreciate votes and/or comments!)

Chapter 35

I storm out the room and run right into Courtney.

“What’s the hurry?” she asks, surprised and slightly irritated at the hit her shoulder blade took from mine. 

“We fell for it,” I mutter angrily, marching back towards West Wing. I already know exactly what the Nephilum would have found: nothing.

Dimly, I hear Jesse explaining everything we just worked out to Courtney. Fury is rising up my spine in prickles. Or maybe that’s just the humidity.

“Valencia!” I yell, making a ruckus as I barge into West Wing. She should be able to hear me no matter how far down they went, but they happen to be returning anyway. 

The clicking of heels echo up before her head bobs into view. 

“Empty and emotionless,” she calls up. “This isn’t the real place, is it?” 

She isn’t asking me the question. She already knows.

I shake my head. 

“But if this isn’t it, where’s the real island?” Jesse asks, coming in behind me.

“I do hope you kids have a plan,” a male voice travels up the stairs. It’s Kane that emerges, and the one who spoke. The other Nephilum follow up, and though they stay silent, their faces resemble the exact same thought.

“The relic is the most important goal of the mission, we know,” Courtney says, dripping with attitude. “God, we know.”

Kane narrows his eyes. 

“We’ll find it,” I rush to assure before he can do anything rash and Courtney follows up by doing something even more rash. 

“How?” Leigh asks simply, tapping her foot. 

Eric steps out from behind me. “That’s a good question.”

“I can find it,” I blurt out without meaning to. “Right now. I can find it.”

Jesse gives me a strange look. “Why does your voice sound different?”

Child, let me in.

I whirl around the room, wide-eyed.

“Lilith?”

Valencia raises her sword. “What? Where?”

I back out of West Wing, and into the yard, slowly scanning. The others shuffle along, clueless but unquestioning. The Nephilum are more hesitant.

Lower the barrier Uriel blessed over you. I can help you find Amanel.

“Where are you?” I exclaim, searching around like an age-old demon is just going to be lurking in the shadows. “How would you know where the island is?”

“Ariel, what are you hearing?” Jesse asks me quietly, stopping my frenzied scouring.

“She… she wants me to lower a barrier?” I say hesitantly.

“Don’t do it,” Leigh warns seriously, ducking into the yard. Valencia is close behind, and then the other three. “Angelic essence is your natural protection. Lower it for a demon to intrude and it could destroy you.”