Chapter 13

Author's note: This chapter is way longer than I thought it would be. Maybe that's why it took so long for me to update: that, and like a dozen assessments. Comment or vote to show your love and I'll try my best to get the next chapter out sooner! :)

Chapter 13

"Are you all just going to stand there gaping?" Uriel says. "A few centuries ago, I'd have people trying to wash my feet right now."

My mouth is moving but I can't seem to form words.

"Okay, now you're just scaring me." Uriel folds up his wings, and somehow manages to shrink them enough so he can put his leather jacket back on. He juts his head toward the door, and starts towards it.

"Come on, Ariel, darling," he calls back. "Make sure your friends don't step on any of the Nephilum."

"I- what- you- who-" I stammer.

I scamper after Uriel, and that pulls everyone else into action, following at my heels. As soon as the last foot hits the pavement outside, Uriel places a single finger on the bus, and the entire thing disappears.

"Where'd it go?" Vee asks, flabbergasted.

He waves a flippant hand. "Bus will go back to the holding station. Driver will go home. The Nephilum will go back of their base. Hopefully."

"Hopefully?" I mouth in repeat, still in a shocked state.

Uriel starts walking down the street, strolling with his hands in his pockets.

"Are you sure this is safe?" Jesse whispers as we follow. "I know he's your ancestor--however weird that is--but we're still a group of demon-bloods following an angel."

I wince. "He's got to be here for a reason. Let's just stay on guard and see what he has to say."

Sasha leans in, whispering, "This is so weird. I expected angels to look like old men with straggly beards and dozens of eyes or something. He just looks like a hot guy with wings."

"Gross!" I hiss. "Let's not forget that's my grandfather you're talking about."

"What?" she says, shrugging. "I'm just saying. It's not like I suggested you take part in incest."

I make a disgusted face.

"Where are we going?" Vee mutters behind me, mostly to herself.

"McDonalds," Uriel answers from far ahead, startling us all.

I stiffen slightly. Of course he can hear us. Even I could hear whispering this far back if I concentrated, never mind an angel. Uriel turns back, and winks at Sasha.

Oh, dear god. "I think this is the weirdest thing I have ever experienced."

My eyes lift to Uriel's icy blond hair as he crosses an empty road, heading for the McDonalds I could now see coming into view. At least I now know where Mom got her hair from. I can't seem to figure out if Uriel is supposed to be Caucasian or Asian. Angels can just change their appearance with the snap of a finger; he's probably switching as he walks just to confuse us.

«Are you trying to figure to figure out what race he's supposed to be too?» Jesse says into my head so Uriel can't hear us.

I nod. «I think he keeps altering it.»

Jesse studies him as Uriel nudges open the door, cheerily waving us over to a round table. We follow slowly.

«No, I think he's trying to look like you,» Jesse says.

I frown. «Me?»

«Yeah. Look. He's trying to imitate your features. They're slowly morphing.»