Chapter 30

Author's Note: Hi guys! So sorry this update is late, but hey, it's here! I hope you haven't forgotten what previously happened too much, since I know a lot of readers were a bit confused when old names were brought back up in the last chapter. Thank you all for reading and don't forget to vote and comment! I appreciate it!

Chapter 30

“The spirit that haunted Vendetta House?” Eric asks, incredulous. “That Cecily? The one who screamed at odd hours and always drove Jesse into the attic?”

“The one who was half-tethered to this world and freed after we burnt down West Wing?” Sasha adds on. “Who happened to be a telepathic when she was alive?”

I nod, mute. 

“Not so freed after all, I suppose,” I mutter. 

It’s then that Jesse wakes up, startling me when his hand grips my elbow. His eyes fly open, wild and aglow.

"You're not dead!" Sasha exclaims happily.

Before I can say the same, his other hand snakes around, lightning quick, and my back is pushed flat onto the floor, his weight half on top of me.

It takes me a slow second of struggling and trying to get up, before realizing that Jesse is in fact not attacking me, but hugging me.

“Oh,” I say, relaxing. “Hi.”

That’s when Eric flings himself roughly over us, adding to the hug-fest. 

“Awwwwww—” he draws out, his knee whacking my stomach.

"Ouch," I mutter, squirming.

A voice shouting in the distance makes us all tense again.

“Alright, everyone get off me,” I wheeze. “We’re leaving before they kill us just for our presence.”

kill us just for our presence…

The moment those words leave my mouth, something nags at me. A piercing pain goes through my head, from side to side, just for thinking something is wrong as I pick myself up.

I sway.

Jesse clutches at my elbow again. “Woah, are you okay?" he asks. He looks normal right now, like there isn't a benevolent spirit living in his head as he jokes, "I’m not the one usually having to catch you.”

“We’re leaving,” I mumble, half-heartedly. “We’re leaving, but we… can’t?”

“What are you talking about?” Jesse ducks down to my eye level and brushes the bits of hair plastered to my sweaty forehead back. “Your pupils are insanely dilated.” He wipes a patch of dirt off my cheek, asking again, “Are you okay?”

A buzz hums behind my nose. My vision narrows into a tunnel, the inside of my ears going hot. Then everything sharpens.

“Are you messing with my head?” I demand.

Jesse looks taken aback, his mouth opening and closing. “No! Why would I?”

“Then is Cecily?” I continue interrogating. 

Jesse blinks. “Cecily the screaming, dead girl? What?”

Right, he doesn’t know yet. 

My knees are shaking. I bring up a hand to my mouth, gnawing on a hangnail. What is it? Since I woke up, it’s been there, the feeling, but I passed it off as drowsiness.