Chapter 25

Chapter 25

“This is the place.”

I arch my head up until I can’t any further. Skyscrapers will never cease to amaze me. 

“Are you sure?” Courtney asks Sasha, glancing in through the glass doors. “It looks like a normal office building.” 

“This is the place,” Sasha says again. She walks in, leaving us no choice but to stop dithering and follow.

“You doing okay?” I ask Sebastian quietly, hand on his shoulder. 

He nods tightly, and whispers, “It’s so tall.”

“I know, right?” 

It’s nice to have someone agree with me. 

Inside the building, the lobby is extraordinarily loud. It’s busy and frazzled, just like any office in New York City.

“You’re definitely sure this is the right place?” Courtney asks a final time, face pulled in a way that conveys she definitely thinks Sasha is wrong. 

Sasha doesn’t bother replying. She hits the UP button on the elevator. 

We wait patiently for the ping as the digital reading says the elevator cart has reached ground level, but the doors stay firmly shut. My gaze drifts over to a touch-screen panel, and only then do I notice you need to be let up with a key card.

Great.

“Do you have a meeting?” the receptionist calls over, noticing us.

We all swivel, glancing to one another.

“Uh, no,” I say, moving over to the desk. “We’re just visiting, uhm-” my eyes move over to the sign beside the elevators, indicating which company occupies which floor, “-the Cambion Council,” I finish, surprised. 

It’s written plain and clear next to Floor 23, CAMBION COUNCIL printed in careful font, and then a phone number.

Is it even safe to advertise this? At least we know we have the right place.

“Awfully sorry, but you need a meeting to see them,” the receptionist says, smiling politely. 

“We have a meeting!” Vee says quickly.

The receptionist taps one key on her computer. “No, you don’t.”

“You didn’t even ask for a name,” Courtney scoffs. “How can you be so sure?”

“There are no meetings for the Cambion Council,” the receptionist says bluntly. “At all.”

There goes our genius plan.

“That’s fine,” Jesse says, seemingly unbothered. “Can we borrow that phone to call up?”

“Well, sure,” she says, moving the landline up the desk so Jesse can reach. “I’m warning y’all though, the people on that floor are weird.”

We don’t respond. She blinks at us, or at our heads more or less, inevitably noticing our similaries to the 'weird people'. She goes back to tapping on her computer without another word.

“Is it ringing?” Eric asks Jesse.

Jesse shushes him. A voice comes through the other end. I listen in, so completely glad the enhanced hearing has returned. I’ll never take my superpowers for granted again.

Eric presses his ear onto the other side of the phone, a weak attempt in trying to listen in too.

“Yes?” a man’s baritone answers.