Chapter Ten

(Y/n)'s Pov:

"Line up." Aizawa-sensei ordered.

  Shinso, our classmates, and I filed into a single line. We all turned to face our teacher as he explained the instructions for our physical fitness examination.

"Today you will all be tested on your physical endurance, strength, and flexibility. For endurance, long distance track run. To test your strength, weight lifting. Flexibility will be judged differently for specific individuals. Questions?"

  A girl a few students to my left raised her hand. Aizawa called on her for her question.

"Sensei, could you go deeper into explanation for the tests? Also... what happens if we fail?" Her voice was honey sweet and sugar coated as she spoke. An obvious change from her casual tone.

  I'd recently noticed that most students changed their tones when speaking to our teachers, but this is something I don't think I will ever understand. Why change it? The tone doesn't change the words or their meaning. It's simply a waste of energy.

  With a relenting sigh our teacher continued his explanation.

"Fine, then. Your endurance run will be timed. You will have ten minutes to reach your destination. I've brought in class 1-A's rep for this. Tenya Iida."

  A boy with dark blue hair and a strong, but stiff, build raced up from behind our line of students. The engines on his legs clearly exposed and hot from exhaust. He wore shorts and a white tee shirt, showing off his upper torso and muscular legs. (A/n: Iida over here having thick thighs for DAYS!..... I'm not jealous of his smexy legs on leg day! You are! Not me... I'm not jealous... YOU! YOU ARE! *insert crying noises*)

"Hello! My name is Tenya Iida. Class representative of class 1-A. I look forward to working with you all." The boy was stiff and formal as he introduced himself.

"As I said before," Aizawa continued. "Your endurance test is simple. Iida has placed a white flag at the finish. All you have to do is reach the destination within the time limit. Iida is here to race you. You'll receive extra credit if you beat him."

'Okay... that sounds easy enough! It's about endurance, not speed so Shinso and I should be fine! Although, I wish I was fast enough to get the extra credit...' I thought silently as Aizawa explained to us our route and destination.

  My eyes trailed down the line of students. Most of the students were smiling confidently as Aizawa explained the tests. But then Shinso's eyes met mine. Something was wavering, trembling, in them. My brows furrowed and I mouthed a silent "what's wrong?" to him. Shinso only shook his head in response.

'Shinso... why do you look so... upset?'

  Shinso tore his gaze away from mine and planted it back on Aizawa. I could see he was visibly upset. Questions burst through my mind. 'Is he just worried about the exam? Is he stressing over the quirk disadvantage he has for the tests? Or... I hate to think this but... is he upset with me? Did I do som-'

  Before I could even begin to process my thoughts the first exam had begun and I had missed the instructions for thr other two exams while being stuck in my head. I followed as all the other students lined up. Aizawa's voice rang out into the silence.

"Three. Two. GO!" As soon as the words left his lips everyone was racing behind Iida.

  I ran as fast as I could but no matter how much I tried I couldn't get ahead of the other students. I was stuck in the back row. Breathing heavy and telling myself to keep going. I pushed aside all my thoughts of Shinso as best I could.

'Come on! You can do this! Just a little more!'

  I suddenly felt a tap to my shoulder slowing my pace. I turned slightly to see who had been trying to get my attention. There, racing next to me was Shinso. Heaving as he spoke.

"Hey."

"Haaa.. What?" I questioned.

"We should... team up. There was... no rules against it." Shinso spoke between breaths.

"How?" I asked.

"I'll use... my quirk... to make... you use yours."

"I have a quirk!?" I screeched with the little breath I had.

"Duh! Stupid!" Shinso looked completely shocked.

"Damn it!!" I felt tears prick my eyes as I ran. "Stupid Shinso!" I shouted running ahead of him.

'I have a quirk, huh? So why... Forget it. Thinking about it just hurts my head. I need to apologize and ask him about it when we get home.' After I had calmed myself a bit, I slowed my pace to match Shinso's once more.

"I'm sorry..." I spoke quietly.

"For what? I... haa.. should've told you... You have... nothing to apologize for. I'm... sorry."

"I'm sorry... I called you... stupid."

"I... deserved it that time." Shinso and I breathed a simultaneous sigh of relief as we saw the white flag being stiffly woven by Iida.

  Once Shinso and I reached the finish, we were both given water bottles. We drank them savoring the liquid. Shinso and I looked back at each other and I spoke up first.

"We need to talk about this when we get home. Okay?" I whispered in his direction.

"Sure." He nodded taking another drink.

  I sighed heavily, my shoulders cracking as I did so. I looked around for Aizawa to ask him about the instructions I'd missed but he was no where to be seen. I turned back to Shinso remembering the expression he was making earlier, now knowing he wasn't upset with me that only ruled out one possibility. I needed to ask him what had happened.

"Shinso?" I asked walking closer to him. He hummed in response turning to face me.

"What happened earlier? During the instructions?" I asked putting a hand on his shoulder reassuringly.

"Nothing..."

"You don't have to tell me right now... But when we get home please tell me. You didn't look so good..." I whispered the last part so that other students couldn't hear.

"Fine." Shinso brushed me off.

"By the way, have you seen Aizawa-sensei anywhere?" I asked once more, speaking in my casual voice.

"No. You need him?"

"Yeah. I missed the instructions for the next two tests."

"Something on your mind?"

"You."

"Sorry. Anyway, the strength test is just some measured weight lifting. You have to be capable of lifting someone the within five pounds of your own weight for fifteen feet. Flexibility will be done in pairs. Your partner is your judge. That's all he said."

"Got it. Thank you." I smiled to Shinso, happy to have him around to help.

  Shinso, our class, and I finished the strength test with ease. Everyone passed that one but no one was prepared for the flexibility test...

"Pair up." Aizawa ordered.

  Our class mates paired up and I desperately looked for Shinso to be my partner.

'Where is he? Wait... is that-!?'

  A cute girl with long light green vines for hair and dark emerald eyes was talking to Shinso. She smiled brightly at him and took his hand in hers, beaming with joy. He smiled back at her, scratching the back of his neck.

  I felt a sudden pain in my chest. Like someone had just punched me. Hard.

'He never smiles at me like that...'

"Ah! Looks like your the last one. I guess no one likes you after all! You're usually surrounded but it seems like everyone just turned on you! That's hilarious!" An immature boyish, yet cocky, voice resounded in my ears from behind me.

"Who--?" I turned on my heel to face the person behind me.