As Legolas went to sit next to me, I turned so my back was to him.

"Did I do something wrong because you're acting as though I've just broken your favourite axe?" He asked softly, so the others couldn't hear.

I stayed silent, not knowing what to say to him so I just kept to myself.

"Was it something I said?" He chuckled lightly but I could tell there was genuine concern in there.

"I'm sorry, ok?" I hissed quietly, turning to him, "I'm just not used to being such a dead weight."

Most of the evening passed in comfortable silence. No one gave me a watch that night but I was past protecting with them. At least I could get a few more hours sleep than the others which was always appreciated.

***

Somehow, I managed to convince the rest of our Fellowship to hand my weapons back to me. For some unknown reason, the feeling of having them back gave me strength though logically it should do the opposite.

As we rode over the ridge of the bad field, I caught my first glimpse of Edoras for the first time in years. Our horses came to a stop so we could all take the sight in.

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld." Gandalf explained, "There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here."

With that, we rode on, continuing towards the city of men.

As we approached the gates, I saw a piece of fabric blowing in the wind. It seemed to be some kind of flag or banner with the sigil of Rohan printed across it.

I paid no heed to it as we entered through the gates, slowing the horses to little more than a trot.

It didn't take us long to scale the hill leading up to the Golden Hall. It seemed unusually quiet compared to what I was used to when thinking back on my memories of Rohan.

I had spent centuries of my life in these lands and I always knew it to be a prosperous and joyous place. Now all we were greeted with was empty stares and cold glances.

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard," Gimli observed quietly

When we reached the steps leading up to the Hall, I was relieved to find myself capable of dismounting StarLight without any problems unlike the last time.

That extra few hours of rest I had been granted had done me the world of good. I found my footing and didn't stumble.

I gave Nasha a quick scratch before I told her to stay with StarLight and go to the stables

I was greatfull we were walking slowly because I don't think I couldn't have been so sure-footed.

At the top of the stairs, we were put face to face with a group of armed guards. The leader walked up to us and seemed to recognise Gandalf.

"I cannot allow you before Théoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame." He sighed, looking the wizard in the eyes, "By order of Gríma Wormtongue."

We all looked to Gandalf who nodded his approval. I sighed and reluctantly handed over my weapons.

First went my bow and quiver. Then my broad sword. Then my short sword. Then my five daggers which I had dotted over my person. Then, lastly, my axe which I handed over very hesitantly.

As I turned to the others, I realised they had all been waiting for me. All the guards stared at me curiously.

"What? Middle-Earth is a dangerous place for a woman," I shrugged their gaze off as the leader turned back to Gandalf.