Chapter 53

Evan
I sat patiently in the main infirmary room, the room empty of sounds. I was settled on one of the beds, my body jittery and my mind buzzing.

The procedure did go surprisingly smooth, that was until I gave up Brian to Jaren. I remained in the other room for some time until I lift my gaze as the door opens.

Jaren enters through, appearing tired but merry.

"How'd it go?" I questioned gingerly, watching him empty his gloves onto the floor and settle across from me on another mattress.

"He'll be just fine, he's just resting now," Jaren explains, fidgeting with his hands in his lap. "We should start packing now, we have to leave soon."

I weakly nodded, standing up to fetch Brian's gun bag and a few things from our temporary room.

We both met back at the infirmary, dumping our stuff to the walls. We played cards for a few hours until Jaren finally sighed. "I think I hear Kryoz, do you think you can get Brian up?"

I hummed and headed towards the door. The door was the entrance into Brians room. He was sat up in his bed, seemingly just woken up just a few moments ago.

My heart skips a beat when I see him. The half injured side of his face was supported with metal, wires and small cables, his missing eye now a red globe in its socket surrounded by the map of wires. His broken arm was replaced with a metal one, beams of metal and wires we're visible in the design with small wires sticking out.

His robotic eye gazed towards me blankly while his human one fills with fondness.

"Hey, Ev... You alright?"

I giggled gently. "I should be asking you that, goof."

He grinned brightly. "What do I look like?"

My brows furrow at his question but I snatch the metal tray from its rack and hand it to him. Brian inspects his reflection in the bright metal, touching his face with his fleshy arm while the other held the tray.

His eyes trail down to his robotic arm, he analyses every wire and circuit before gazing back to his reflection with a massive grin.

"Holy shit, I look like the fucking Terminator!"

I was taken back by his reaction, expecting an alternate response but glad he didn't find grief in his new features.

"Put the cookie down! Get to the chopper!"

Brian starts to declare catchphrases from an old movie in a low voice, laughing to himself. I giggled alongside him with a happy grin.

I ran a hand down his metal arm, obviously, he couldn't feel it. I rested my hand into his cold metallic palm, jumping when the fingers retract.

I peer up to see Brian softly smiling as he intertwined his metallic hand with mine. "Thank you, Evan."

I rest my head on his arm, hiding my heated face. "You're lucky that I love you."

"I love you too... you little mink."

"So I'm a mink now?"

"Mmm-hmm."

We rested there for a few moments longer before helping Brian to his feet. His legs were shaky from their lack of use but he seemed to be able to hold on until he was able to rest in the car.

I held on Brian's fleshy arm, feeling my exhaustion match his. I wasn't able to sleep these past few days, even after Jon's escape.

"You want some thyme leaves~?"