🕺CHAPTER ONE💃

Grace was lost in thought, traveling a fragile skein of imaginations that seems to meander and spurn eliciting memories and emotions, she was in sync with the music, the rhythm in each stepping, the ogling stares of the crowds. She was once again, as she had so many times been, in her element. On point.

She swirled around leaning away, falling with her hands extended; her facial expression, pleading; her eyes closed. Raymond was right there, as she knew he would be. Their hands met and his strong arm pulled her back to him with so much force he tilted half mirroring her old position. He then sprung back as she swirled and turned her back to him. His hand was gently on her waist, drawing her close to him as their legs moved in synch to the left...

There's something about having the perfect dance partner on the ballroom floor, there's something special, something only dancers can explain, something the audience may think of as romantic. It was magic. It was real, in every step; Her pulling away, and him pulling her back, her leaning beyond balance would allow and knowing that he would be there to help her back to her feet. The anticipation, the synchrony. No wonder anybody might think it's akin to love.

But regardless of whatever anyone thinks-beneath the façade and expressions, the choreography, hairdo, make up, sequin, glamor and all-they were dancers, professional dancers at the core and this was nothing more than a performance. A performance well staged basically for anyone visiting RaDance studio for the first time. The night was RaDance Studio Abuja first anniversary, and the final dance performance before the show comes to an end was a tango, between Grace and Raymond, founder of RaDance.

They moved around in an v shaped closed embrace, with their head almost touching, she could feel the warm controlled breath, as he drew back. He moved back and she followed in a swift swirl that culminated in a split. The crowd applauded. Raymond pulled her up, she flicked her legs as he took a step, simultaneously throwing their arms before them. They took three deliberate slow step forward and one side drag before she got pulled in an embrace then slowly slid down again eventually bending in a dip, steadied by his strong arm.

She pulled away then lunged back. Raymond lifted her over his shoulder just to pull her to his side, lifted her, and swirled while Grace's arms fanned wide in the air. She touched back down breathless, as she grinded against his torso in few sides steps and at the last struck of the violins they leaned close and as the music stopped, they parted abruptly.

Cheers erupted in the crowd as they took their bows and exited stage. In the dim lit room she felt his hand on hers, "they definitely loved that!" he said, panting.

"I bet they did." Grace replied, and couldn't suppress a giggle superimposed on her gasps. She sighed. An awkward silence stretched on, Grace was just thinking of how to break the ice when the master of ceremony announced that it was time for the final remark by Raymond. Saved by the mc! He slowly let go of her hand and sauntered back, he was soon gone past the curtains. She stroked her hair, then stretched, eliciting a wide yawn.

On her way off backstage, Bolaji, still in black leather and leopard print slid to view and gave her a high five, "that was lit!" she exclaimed. Bolaji is the instructor on contemporary African dance, a professional hip-hop dancer and contortionist wonder that break dance like nothing Grace had ever seen. Bolaji left to attend to some of the students in the dressing room who had performed alongside herself to Korede Bello's 'God win', and Grace turned to those whose bills would keep this place running. She signed autographs, took pictures that were constantly photo bombed by eager fans.

RaDance has been doing well, for a dance studio, and it had amassed an enviable number of patrons over the past few months Grace had begun working here.

It was hours before the last guest left the red-carpet, Raymond was all smiles entertaining ever vociferous fans, but Grace knew he must be just in need of a break as she was.