Oh, Shoot

Thanksgiving break had begun. And with it, the rising of war tensions.

Our only source of information was Ryland, and Roger was nowhere to be found. We tried his cell, the repair shop he frequented, and the apartment that he owned on the other side of town. But we couldn't find him.

Lance and Alexis tried to keep it together, but neither of them had ever faced something like this before. Below Lance and Alexis, was another tier of high-ranked members. They consisted of Hunter, Trevor, Elena, Michelle, Klaus and Alex. Together, the eight of them did their best to control the crew, keep us calm and prepare us for what was coming.

I discovered that the basement of the clubhouse was a gun room. I had never seen so many weapons placed together within four walls. The Road Killers sure knew how to strike back, and the Night Axes, if they had expected us to be unprepared, were dead wrong.

Like a lot of the other members, I spent my time building my strength. My mornings ran smoothly with some physical combat, because... I mean, it was me they're after, after all. And my evenings were occupied in shooting practise. I didn't want for the "war" to be as violent as having people get shot, but I couldn't always get what I wanted.

All I could do was prepare for the worst.

It wasn't very difficult. I used spend my free time in a gun range. Where I might or might not have been taking my frustrations on the Night Axes, out on a paper target.

Battle frightened me, honestly. I didn't know how I hadn't crumbled under the tension yet. But if I've learned something, it's that I couldn't be paralysed by my fears.

I couldn't freeze under pressure.

__________

"So, where are you right now?" Hunter asked.

I set my phone down and hit the speaker button. "The gun room," I replied curtly.

"Why?"

I rolled my eyes as if he could see me. He couldn't. "It's, like, four in the afternoon, Hunter," I said, exaggerating each word. "I need to get some training in."

"Look at you, working so hard," he remarked.

Shrugging, I said, "Well, you know me."

He sighed lightly. "I'm sorry I can't train with you."

I reached over and picked up some ammo, staring at it for a couple of seconds. "Don't be. You have a bakery to run. Don't apologise for wanting to make a living," I finished with a chuckle.

"Still, I mean..." he began. "I really wish I could be there. I barely see you anymore."

"I know," I sighed. Hunter and the others have been given really tiring and important tasks with the absence of Roger. That, along with him working at the bakery doesn't give us a lot of time together. He's always occupied at the club.

Not that I minded. I admired him for prioritising appropriately. This was no time to be reckless.

"So, who are you practising with? Trevor?"

"No," I answered. "Elena said she'd help me with my long range. I'm about to meet her outside."

He questioned, "You going to the woods behind the property?"

"The lake, actually. It's more open, and... peaceful, I think?" My tone seemed like it was another question.

There was some silence over the phone for a while. I took a look at my phone to make sure that I didn't lose him by accident. He was still on the line. What's he thinking?