He stretched as Skeppy led him into a small cafe. The Hub may be where some of the best superheroes work, but the food wasn't good. Bad had barely even touched his breakfast, so Skeppy offering to treat him to a muffin or two from a nice cafe sounded like a perfect afternoon.

Skeppy went up to the counter and ordered for them. He already knew Bad's order, so Bad went and got them a table. A few minutes later, Skeppy returned with their drinks and a chocolate chip muffin for each of them. Bad accepted them gladly. The pair sat in companionable silence as they people watched. 

Bad's eyes flicked to the television on the wall of the Cafe. It was basic news- Some criminals had tried to rob a bank. Apparently, Schlatt had stopped them- He was reportedly visiting some friends. The next story started but was cut off as the TV flashed a bright red. 'BREAKING NEWS' floated across the TV in big block letters.

Skeppy looked up at the TV as well. The news anchor's face appeared on the television. "Good afternoon," they said, although their voice did not give the impression that the afternoon was good. "We are reporting live on a recent murder. Evya Crowaiz, age 21, was found dead in an alley near 5th Street." 

//tw drug mention, needle mention

The anchor's face vanished, replaced with a picture of a smiling girl. A smiling girl who was now dead. "Evya was found with a knife buried in her side. A mark on her arm indicated she had recently had a needle in her arm. No traces of any drugs were found in her system, however. She seemed to be missing around three pints of blood."

//tw over

"Seems familiar," Skeppy said, taking a sip of his coffee.

"The knife was marked with this symbol-" The hilt of the knife flashed on the screen.

"No fingerprints were found. This case is odd in particular die to Evya's power. She could control the strength of a person's powers. Power dampening, it is called. If you have any leads, call the Guardian Hub at..."

Bad looked back at the table. "Oh, that poor girl. I guess we were lucky to get out of there last night, huh?"

Skeppy nodded silently. The duo left the cafe and started back to their apartment.

They got in, Bad shut the door, and Skeppy looked him in the eyes and said, "Bad, I wanna be a vigilante."

There was a pause before Bad laughed. "Good joke, Skeppy. Almost got me."

"I'm not joking."

"...oh."

Skeppy walked away from the door and began to pace in front of their couch. "You saw that report. Someone else was murdered last night, the same way I would have been. Illosia is supposed to be one of the safest places on the globe, but there was only one hero squad out last night." He ran a hand through his hair. "And they were with me, so they couldn't help her."