Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 11

Start from the beginning

Todoroki's statement causes Midoriya to stiffen in alarm and shock along with you. Did Todoroki already figure it out? There is no reason why he should know there's something strange about Midoriya's quirk and his relationship with All Might.

Did he talk to him about it and this is Todoroki's passive-aggressive way of reminding him that he knows the secret?

Who else knows?

"Oooh a declaration of war from one of the strongest in the class, you're screwed Midoriya," Kaminari pipes in, earning a sweatdrop from most of your classmates.

"Hey dude, it's not manly to pick a fight like that. We're about to go out, so can we try to get along? Please?" Kirishima jumps in, grabbing Todoroki by the arm but he shrugs Kirishima off.

"I don't care. I'm not going to pretend to be anyone's friend," Todoroki snaps.

Midoriya straightens like a board, but a determined glint appears in his clear, green eyes. "I don't know why you felt the need to tell me this Todoroki...you're clearly stronger than me. I can't compete against most of the people in our class. But! Everyone here is aiming for the top. Even the students from the other courses are trying their best, and while I might not measure up to your power yet Todoroki, I will not fall behind! I'M AIMING FOR THE TOP TOO!"

The room falls silent except for your chair squeaking against the floor. You turn your back to all of them and head towards the tunnel that will lead you all out to the field, not sparing them a second glance as you speak up. "He's right, as of this moment, we aren't friends. We're enemies. I won't go easy on any of you, and I expect you to do the same."

"(L/n)! Not you too," Kirishima whines, hating how the class is turning against each other because of this festival.

You don't turn around to look at any of them, opening the door to exit the waiting room and head to the tunnel first even as Ida yells at you to wait. You feel the heat of a certain crimson-eyed classmate's gaze on your back as you slam the door shut behind you.

•••••

"IT'S EVERYONE'S FAVORITE TIME OF YEAR! UA'S SPORTS FESTIVAL! THE ONE TIME WHEN OUR FLEDGLING HEROES ARE PITTED AGAINST EACH OTHER TO SHOW OFF THEIR SKILLS TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

"First up, you know who they are! Class 1-A from the Hero Course! The rising stars who survived a villain attack with their willpower! With an addition to the class, A STUDENT RECOMMENDED TO UA BY THE HERO PRESIDENT!"

You feel yourself going deaf at how loud the stadium is. The crowd screams and claps at the sight of you and your other classmates exiting the tunnel. The entire stadium is filled with people, thousands of them, all watching you and even more people are watching from home. By some miracle, your nerves aren't acting up even though this is an introvert's worst nightmare. Your classmates start to waver at the sight of the huge crowd, mumbling about how it's nerve-wracking to have this many people watching them.

"Are we really supposed to perform our best with this many people watching us? It seems like they're going to be a distraction," Ida says, pushing his glasses up his nose and frowning at the stands of people.

"Think about it Ida," You interject, cutting off the other's nervous rambling with your snapping voice, "Heroes have to perform under high-stress situations flawlessly all the time, this is one of the walls you must climb to become a hero."