Chapter 4 : Intrusion

I quickly settled in the penthouse after my solo tour of the place in astonishment. The hardwood flooring, the gorgeous chandeliers, the glossy white marble countertops and the stairs that led upstairs to fully furnished bedrooms all looked suspiciously too expensive for what my brother could afford, unless he was earning much more than I thought for his job as a fake CEO.

If I'd known that Ares had such a nice place in this city, I would have come here to visit him every month instead of having him visit me at my small apartment.

Of all the bedrooms that were furnished upstairs, I chose the one that had what I considered was the best view. After placing my small suitcase near the bed and slipping my gun under a pillow, I walked towards the large floor-to-ceiling window. I took in the wonderful skyline of the city and became mesmerized.

Sitting down in front of the window, I stared at the beautiful view as my brain tried to process everything that happened the past few days.

I thought back to the conversation with Ares today while playing with my necklace. In all honesty, I wasn't too surprised by the fact that Ares was keeping some kind of big secret from me. I always kind of knew that he was. Ares understood how much I didn't want to get pulled into a life that involved guns and bloodshed, so he didn't say anything and I didn't pry. My life motto to life as plain and average as possible was because I wanted to feel normal despite my upbringing.

At first, I was so sure I wanted him to tell me everything and add me into the loop, but now the more I thought about it, doubt started to seep into my mind. You either step all the way in or stay the hell out. There was no middle ground. I had a feeling that once I get pulled further into this game, I won't be able to return back to the average life I've tried to build, so perhaps it would be good idea to remain ignorant.

After trying to live a life that others would consider normal made me become more confused. Sometimes, I felt like I was forcing myself to fit into another mold where I had a regular job, decent pay and a place to live. I had no dream and no future ambitious goals. I tried so hard to fit myself into this society that I haven't considered what I really wanted for myself.

I felt so lost.

"What should I do?" I held my necklace tightly in my fist and mumbled to myself.

*

I changed into a large sweater and leggings. In these clothes, I often felt smaller than my actual height due to my smaller than average frame being engulphed in large clothing.

I spent my evening making myself some delicious food with the fully stocked fridge and pantry, leaving my brother a large portion for when he gets home. Though I ate larger amounts of food in comparison to other females my size, I exercised often because I was so used to it and also due to paranoia. I felt that I should always be able to physically take care of myself if something were to happen. It was a good thing I did, seeing what happened to me the past few days.

Grabbing a bowl of popcorn, I relaxed while I watched a movie. When my ringtone suddenly went off, it immediately snapped me out of my concentration and I paused the movie. I quickly answered it as soon as I saw that it was Ares.

"Hey."

"Settled in?" Ares asked curiously.

"Yes. Should I even ask how you could afford this place?"

"Better if you don't."

I narrowed my eyes. "You're not doing anything... stupid, are you?"

"Define stupid."

"Seriously, Viking?"

I heard Ares sigh. "Don't ask, I'll see you later. I'm almost there."

Suddenly, the doorbell rang and I started walking towards the door.