Chapter 5

Annalise

My eyes remain trained on the floor as I clasp my hands in front of me. It's all I can do to stop the trembling as the king of the beasts steps away from me. I'm alone with the beast that wiped out my village all on his own. The silence is deafening, forcing me to take a deep breath.

"Come here."

His voice carries across the room to where I stand. It takes all my mental power as I force my legs to take me to where he's seated. I can feel his gaze on me as I approach, keeping my eyes down for fear of what could happen.

"You can look at me."

His voice is gentle, but I don't miss the mocking tone.

I lift my gaze, almost breathing a sigh of relief when I see he is eyes are focused on the spread in front of him. He's sitting at the small table with food laid out on it, giving me an opportunity to study him. His hair is free, the long tresses falling down his back. My gaze shifts to the bed that is completely askew, and I think of the three beasts that ran out of here when we arrived. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of beast this is.

As if sensing my thoughts, he looks up, causing my breathing to hitch as our eyes meet. Looking into his gaze takes more out of me than the hike to the river. Our close proximity doesn't help the frantic beat of my heart as he studies me, and he knows it. He smiles at my reaction, making me realize just how much I hate his smile. It's something that will give me nightmares, right next to the soulless depth of his gaze.

"You were so vocal at the entrance of the palace," he says with an amused grin.

He continues to watch me, reveling in my silence.

"Are you hungry?"

Confusion strikes me. I don't know why the king of the beasts would care whether I eat or starve to death, especially since he is the reason I'm here in the first place.

"You have an issue with answering questions."

His expression has lost amusement, morphing into irritation as he studies me. It reminds me of the first time I laid eyes on him across the river. He was asking questions then that I refused to answer.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, no longer able to hold his gaze. "I am hungry."

Silence washes over the room before he stands.

"Look at me."

I slowly raise my gaze, looking into his. They're the eeriest eyes I've ever seen.

"You can eat."

His gaze dips to my chest and he slowly raises his hand, his fingers trailing along my collarbone until they find the chain of the necklace my father gave me. I tense as he pulls it from its hidden place.

"If you tell me where you got this from."

He pulls it up enough that it rests between us. My heart hammers against my chest at the closeness of this beast. He carries such an intimidating confidence, it's no wonder he is the king.

"It's a family heirloom," I whisper.

I don't know if he noticed the necklace because it looks too valuable for a human to have, but I hope he won't take it when he hears how important it is to me. I recall my father's words as he handed it to me in a panic.

"Never take off. It is your protection. Only you are meant to wear it."

The king's expression is unreadable as he studies the necklace with an intensity I don't understand.