Chapter Two: A New Chapter

'Father however was much changed. But he hoped for better times.'

Their father smiled as Ella read a book out loud. (Y/n) and Tod munched on cookies as they listened to her speak. Once Ella was done their father decided to speak.

"Girls, I've come to the conclusion that it's time, perhaps...to begin a new chapter." he said.

"Indeed, father." Ella responded, while (Y/n" simply nodded.

"You recall that some time ago in my travels I made the acquaintance of sir Francic Tremain." Father asked both his daughters.

"Yes. the masters of the mercies guild, is he not."
(Y/n) responded.

"Was. The poor man has died,alas." their father said making both girls look shocked.

"His widow, an honorable woman, finds herself alone, though still in the prime of her life." their father said making both girls figure out what he was trying to say.

"You're worried about telling us. But you mustn't be. Not if it involves your happiness" Ella said to her father. After explaining the situation and getting the approval of his girls. The family waited for their new family members' arrivals.

🦋

"Welcome ladies, welcome!" their father exclaimed before walking towards the carriage. The two girls introduced themselves to their new sisters.

Suddenly a loud snarling noise is heard and a gray cat jumps out of the carriage. Tod slowly approaches in a friendly manner before getting scratched in the muzzle. He lets out a yelp before running towards (Y/n).

"Keep that animal away from him!" one of the sisters exclaims. (Y/n) quickly picks him up before turning to her friend.

"Tod, are you okay?" (Y/n) asked, completely ignoring the sisters. She then turned to lady Tremain.

"I'm so sorry." She said. She knew that Tod wasn't wrong but she could tell this woman would flip the situation.

"How charming." Lady Tramain said, completely ignoring (Y/n) and walking inside with her cat.

'Their step-mother was a woman of keen feeling and refined taste. And she too had known grief. But she wore it wonderfully well.'

Lady Tramain looked around the house before smiling and entering a room. Outside (Y/n) and Ella smiled at their father before he walked inside.

"You did not say your daughters were so beautiful." Lady Tramain said.

"Oh they take after their..." Father stopped talking before Lady Tramain looked at him.

"Their mother. Just so." Lady Tramain finished with a smile. Outside the room. Anastasia and Drizella started arguing. They continued walking around the house as the girls asked questions and showed their obvious disgust at the decor.

'Their step-mother, high spirited lady that she was, set out to restore life and laughter to the house.'

Carriages stop in front of the house as guests start to arrive. Inside Lady Tremain laughs along with a group of men as they play cards.

(Y/n) and Ella hold hands while trying to get to a quieter place in the house. Once they make it to a quiet area they spot Ella's mice friends and Tod eating food they managed to sneak away.

"Well look who's having a party of their own."Ella said with a smile.

"Are you taking care of the mice and keeping them away from lucifer?" (Y/n) asked Tod with a smile. Tod nodded his head before moving towards the girl to get head pats. At that very moment said cat showed up and started growling. Elle quickly picked him up.