| 26 | crève-coeur

Start from the beginning

"Is everything okay?" he queried in concern, "You don't sound like yourself, babe."

I avoided his gaze again as I brushed his hand aside.

"It's time for you and I to go our separate ways,"

The words carried a huge weight to articulate despite how they rushed out of my tongue in a haste.

"It's over."

It took a huge amount of strength to imprison the unshed tears in my eyes for the slightest slip could be enough to expose my hidden emotions.

Part of me wanted nothing more than to say this was all just a setup and every part of me was crazy about him.

But knowing my future was at stake, I had to stay in character.

A sardonic chuckle escaped his throat; enough to summon a perplexed look on my face.

"You can stop the prank now," his statement was enough to diverge my gaze from the floor to his, "I know what this is. . .you're just tryna get back at me for the joke I made last week. Well played."

My sullen mood was on the brink of getting unmasked as it took me longer than expected to process his words.

Since he was so invested in the relationship, he refused to believe I was breaking up with him.

Sulking in a deep breath, I knew I needed to sound more vicious for my words to sink in.

"I want nothing to do with you, don't you get it?" I snapped in a raised tone of voice, "This isn't a prank. You bore me to death Ludovic and faking my feelings for you is getting tiring."

My words held a greater impact because the look on his face said it all.

His face held a different set of emotions as anger, confusion, devastation all sought to fight for dominance.

By this time, some of the students in the hallway paused their chats to tune into our conversation.

Breaking up with him in front of the entire school wasn't part of the plan.

But given how I had to end it as soon as possible, the circumstances no longer mattered.

"What the hell do you mean?" Ludovic's raised voice took a more aggressive tone as the scowl on his face transformed him into a different person I barely recognized, "What bullshit are you saying right now?"

It took all the strength in me to feign the look of boredom on my face despite wanting nothing more than to bawl my eyes out.

I sighed in annoyance before heaving my shoulders, "Face it Ludovic, this thing between us is heading nowhere. I tried giving this relationship a shot but it's getting harder for me to pretend I like you. I have a span of years ahead of me and can't afford to waste my time on you."

Before I could whirl around to head off to the opposite direction, I was yanked backward.

Ludovic's livid expression shook me to the core as his eyes desperately tried to search mine.

He tightened the firm grip he had on my wrist before he drew me closer to him to the point where our chest almost touched.

"Tell me this is a fucking joke," he snarled as he continued to shoot me a death glare.

People gradually began to assess the commotion as some of them whispered among themselves.

My attempts to relinquish my hand from his grip were in vain because it gave him more of a reason to tighten his grip.