| 35 | turbulence

ONE YEAR AGO

ONE YEAR AGO

April 4th, 2022

"Breaking news. The business mogul Moreno Vilinski was shot dead in his mansion about two hours ago. Investigators confirmed the shooter to be Caiden Devereaux from the nation's well-respected Devereaux family. This came as a shock to many people who viewed the Devereauxs as an unstoppable force in the business world. Caiden has been taken into custody for his heinous crime.

Considering Moreno Vilinski was one of the most powerful businessmen in the world, this atrocity will undoubtedly taint the reputation of the Devereauxs. Judicial authorities have yet to give their verdict on the matter. Hence, we'll keep everyone in the loop on the status of Caiden's sentence. Lastly, our deepest condolences to the bereaved members of Vilinski's family."

His lifeless gaze was fixated on the big screen television.

"The plan is in motion."

He anchored his attention to her as they shared the same frigid expression.

"What do we do about him?" he gestured to the tv.

Nothing could erase the void she'd been holding in her chest for what seemed like centuries.

One could say she became dehumanized and he was aware of it.

They had both reached the stage of dehumanization leading to their common interest.

"He'll get in the way of everything we've built," she asserted in an abrasive tone as she approached the velvet sofa where he sat, "so it's best to stick to the plan and forget about him."

He was reminded of their main objective once he saw the engravable ring she wore displaying the familiar acronyms.

S.A.A.R.C.

Instantly, the ounce of doubt he felt was replaced by scornful wrath.

"What about the girl?" he queried as he clutched his cane.

She folded her arms as she positioned herself behind him.

"We still need her for our plan," she recalled as her forehead creased, "Let's observe how she acts in the following days. If she makes the slightest mistake, we'll give the order."

All he did was nod as he stared into space.

She withdrew; the sound of her heels click-clacking against the wooden floor.

But his upcoming words were enough to freeze her on her tracks.

"You know he deserved to die, don't you?"

Her shoulders tensed as her back was facing him.

She clenched her hands as she refused to pivot.