Chapter 18

"Yeah." I shrug him off and continue walking, "Also please do not touch me."

"Eve?" Levi starts, "Someone just tried to kill me. Who ordered it?" He says, walking by my side.

"I know." I wave him off, "Don't worry. I'll deal with it tomorrow."

"Who ordered it?" Levi asks again, an essence of seriousness in his voice this time.

"The captain of the Anti-Personnel Control Squad." I deadpan. I thought he was listening in on the conversation.

"Who is he?" Levi grits his teeth, "Stop giving me bullshit answers Eve."

"Fine!" I snap, "I'm not giving you bullshit answers. The Anti-Personnel Control Squad is a secret squad and I cannot tell you the captain of it. Just like the First Interior Squad. The squad does not follow MP rules and in all seriousness, that was my first time meeting a member! I've met the captain several times and the only thing you need to know is that he is one crazy bastard!" I stop and stare down Levi, "What? Are you afraid you're gonna die? Don't you fight titans?" I scoff and roll my eyes.

"Okay then." Levi crosses his arms, "Please speak to him tomorrow about what just happened. I don't want to have to watch my back."

"Don't worry." I roll my eyes, "My threat will fuck him up."

"Well, then I'm following you to the HQ tomorrow."

"What?"

***

Throughout the journey to our hotel room, Levi and I argued about his sudden urge to follow me to the HQ. It was obviously because he wanted to find the captain of the Anti-Personnel Control Squad who ordered someone to assassinate him.

"You can't come!" I say again, opening our room door, my MP uniform in my hand.

"Why?" Levi asks again like a six-year-old.

"I've already told you. I know why you want to come and that's not happening."

"For fucks sake." Levi mutters. I scoff and enter the hotel room as soon as I get the door open.

"Okay, lets come to an agreement." I start and then chuckle, "You can come, I'll trust your words. But I swear, if you go looking for the captain, if I don't kill you first, the First Interior Police will because that's what they do. Keep secrets, a secret. I didn't plan to hand over your dead body to Erwin but if you decide to be an idiot, lose some weight so it will be easier to carry your body."

"You have a disgusting sense of humour." Levi comments, "I'm not interested in confronting the captain"

"Yeah, but you want to know who he is." I roll my eyes and plop myself onto the same couch I've been sleeping on, "But forget it. Stop sleeping on the floor. It's going to mess you up."

"I'm fine." Levi curtly replies.

"You won't be when you go back to fighting Titans and you realise your bones are stone." I roll my eyes, "Just lie on the bed."

"I could say the same about you." Levi removes says as he removes his suit jacket. "You lie on the bed and I'll take the couch.

"No, it's not the same. I don't kill Titans for a living." I chuckle and run my hands through my hair, "I can't argue again. I'm too tired."

"Then take the bed." Levi deadpans, "Its common sense." I stop and stare at Levi for a second, maintain eye contact.

What goes on in his head?

I let out a deep sigh and scrunch my eyebrows together, still wondering if this man suffers from some sort of mental illness that causes him to ignore half the things you say. I stand up and enter the bathroom grabbing my uniform on the way.

***

After I finish changing, I leave the bathroom just to see Levi laying peacefully on the couch. My mouth falls open, but I quickly close it, not interested in arguing again tonight. Levi watches me, half-lidded as I climb into the wall-forsaken bed we both previously refused to use.

"Sleep well." I hear Levi say from across the room.

"Fuck you." I chuckle and blow out the lamp.

***

I end up waking up earlier than regularly, sighing and getting out of bed. I run my hands through my hair, knowing my body wouldn't go back to sleep. Feeling like I need a shower, but knowing the shower in the hotel is not clean enough, I grimace.

"Why do you get up so early?" I hear a voice. I instantly flinch and look wide-eyed in the direction of the voice. I realize it's just Levi and decide to ignore my internal need to punch him in the face but retort instead.

"Why do you fall asleep so late?"

"Fine then." He raises an eyebrow at me. "When are we leaving for the HQ?"

"Realistically, now." I answer, "I have paperwork to go through. Also need to get a map with the 'new' property line around the Casino. We can talk tactics when we get there."

Paperwork.

Only the Walls know how the big the stack waiting for me is by now.

"Great." Levi answers although I'm not too sure if he's being sarcastic, "I can help get map while you're doing paperwork."

"Nah." I chuckle, "Nobody is going to give you that shit. We'll just go together before I start and talk about it while I go through the work."

"Fine by me then." Levi shrugs and starts putting on his shoes.

***

Levi and I left the hotel quickly after that. We rode our horses back into Stohess and straight to the HQ.

Small talk was around us, but silence was between us. Not an awkward silence, but not exactly comfortable either.

I had already collected the newly drawn map when Levi and I both walked into my office. I smile as the familiar smell fills my nostrils when I sit in my desk chair.

Levi sits on a couch, grabbing a book from a nearby bookshelf. "Okay," I start and grab the paperwork neatly stacked on my desk, probably done by Otto, "We are going to bring in the new map and claim the transact-"

I get cut off but a loud knock on the door. I pause before turning my head towards the door, "Come in."

The door opens and I immediately recognize the tousled brown hair and blue eyes. "You have a guest, Eve." He grins, "One of your favourite people. After me, that is."

"Otto." I roll my eyes, "Let them in."

A massive, tree-like human walks into my office and I immediately break out into a grin. "Mike." I shake my head a little, "What are you doing here?"