Chapter 11

Suddenly Tobias stands up, "I've got to talk to a dealer." He smiles, "Why don't we play some poker?" He announces loudly. Everyone around us starts cheering and I smile, but then furrow my eyebrows. Why would he want to talk to the dealers?

"Talk to a dealer?" I whisper over to Tobias.

Tobias looks over at Levi and me with a grin. "Let me tell you a secret since we are now good friends." He leans down to us, "No one else knows, but the dealers run this place." He moves away and chuckles. Greta stands up and throws her hands over her husband with love, making me nearly throw up in my own mouth.

Everyone at the table starts to clean up and before Levi stands up I whisper to him, "Do you know what he means when he says the dealers run this place?" I move away from him and make eye contact.

"He means the dealers are the underbosses." Levi replied with a straight face. I freeze for a second in shock, but then quickly regain my stature and clear my throat.

So what Tobias is saying is that first, the whole gambling system in this casino is rigged to favour the rich fucks who sponsor the establishment. Second, the people committing the heinous crimes we need to discover are right in front of us, watching us constantly.

I assumed the main boss, who owns and overlooks everything would be hiding in a little office somewhere far away. But if the underbosses are right here, does that mean the boss is in the backroom? What criminal runs his organised crime in the building where it happens? How proud is he that he isn't afraid of being caught?

The image of a fat, sleazy man drinking alcohol and hanging around in a VIP room forms in my head and I grit my teeth. Completely disgusting.

I follow behind Levi as he follows the others to the poker table. Muller looks up down at us, a suspicious grin on his face. "For the first-timers." He pulls out a seat at the table. I immediately notice its the big blind seat. I internally roll my eyes at how childish he is.

"Doesn't change anything" Levi nods at him and Muller laughs, his alcohol-filled breath fanning over me and deteriorating my nose.

Levi sat down and I start to feel anxious. Levi told me he knows how to play every card game, but I didn't know if he was actually good at card games. Considering, he's using my money to gamble, I hope he knows what he's doing.

I look over at a sign that shows the value of the chips.

Red = 5 coins

Brown = 10 coins

Green = 25 coins

Black = 100 coins

Purple = 500 coins

Orange = 1000 coins

Grey = 2000 coins

Beforehand, I told Levi that he could bet however much he wants and that I would most likely be compensated when we complete the mission. That was a complete lie. I will not be compensated but I didn't want him holding back, especially if we are trying to impress these scumbags.

Everyone goes around, telling the dealers how much they want. When it gets to Levi he says, "40,000, mixed." I smile but inside I feel my stomach churn a little. How much is he betting? The dealer passes him the chips, all stacked in different colors.

Levi puts forward a green chip and the second blind puts down a brown chip. The dealer proceeds to deal out two cards per person. I look down at Levi's cards to see a pair of twos. Not the best cards he could get but better than nothing.

"100." Tobias says calmly, pushing in a black chip to the center.

"Call" Everyone else agrees, including Levi.

The dealer deals the flop. A six of heart, four of diamonds, and two of spades. I make sure to maintain my poker face but thank the Walls for giving Levi luck. I look up at the other men at the table, their faces completely blank and unreadable.

"1000." Tobias smiles and pushes in an orange chip.

"Call." Steen and Klein say, also pushing in a chip.

"Raise to 5000" Muller suddenly says and I glance over at him. His face looks pretty smug but instantly drops when Levi speaks.

"10,000." Levi says, pushing in a stack of grey chips.

"Call." Tobias grunts.

"Fold." Steen drops his cards and Klein follows. Steen folds his arms and chuckles at the game ensuing in front of us.

"Call." Muller says and takes a deep breath. I can't tell if he is trying to mess with us. With the community cards, I'm not sure what combination he has that warrants him to call on 10,000 coins.

The dealer adds another card to the flop. Another two. A two of hearts. I feel my eyebrow twitch. So Levi has four twos. Absolute luck. The Walls must really want us to extort them while we are here.

"Check." Tobias calls out. I look over at him and notice is façade breaking and his worry showing a little.

"Raise to 15,000." Muller says, authority filled in his voice.

"25,000" Levi curtly replies.

"Fold. You guys are crazy." Tobias laughs and drops his cards. Suddenly, the table is filled with high tension.

Muller looks up from his cards at Levi and raises an eyebrow. "Raise to 30,000."

"All in." Levi says, pushing in all of his chips

"Call." Muller mutters.

The dealer places the last card in the flop and I feel a rush inside of me. Muller is insane if he thinks he can win this. What does he even have?

"Show your cards." The dealers says, eyeing between Muller and Levi.

Muller throws his cards down first and I resist the urge to laugh. Two Kings. "Two pairs." He really thought he was doing something right this whole time.

"Four of a kind." Levi says and places his cards down, looking up and then maintain deep eye contact with Muller. Muller's eyes widen and all the men go silent, before deeply laughing.

The dealer motions to Levi and says, "Four of a kind wins. 86,000" The dealer gesturing to the pot and Levi uses his arms to pull the chips towards him. I smile at all the chips, my investment paid off well.

"Muller." Klein chuckles, "You never learn."

Muller slumps onto the table and his wife slaps his back. Suddenly he sits up and chuckles. He extends his palm to Levi, "You've got a great poker face. Nice game."

Levi shakes his hand and nods at him.

"A man of few words." Steen comments and Muller laughs.

"Enough of the men." Greta smiles, "Why don't the women play a game?"